Dumaguete Info Search

Will you keep a gun when living the Philippines?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by pickled_newt, May 8, 2007.

1. stevewatson

stevewatson Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well it is purely a question from curiosity, and, if alarmist does not want to divulge that, it is his decision not yours robertk :wink: cheers. The guy did mention a Country in his post, and I am curious to know if that was the Country in question, or was it another ?:cool:

2. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    I have been thinking about posting on this thread for 3 years now. I know because I'm an American and not everyone will agree with me, but I don't argue, but I have been married to my wife for 15 years now and we have a legal 9mm. In fact my Swat friends are in my house as I type now. 3 days ago we went to teach my wife and our friend how to shoot. Because we are level headed with only friends and no enemy's it was a fun day.

3. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Stevewatson, I never said it was my decision, I was just wondering where you were going with the question, ; ) back at ya, cheers.

4. stevewatson

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Also it will be interesting to hear the stories around the two incidents he is talking about. My curiosity,..... is all. :cool:

5. stevewatson

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well the USA is having quite a struggle at the moment with their proposed gun law change proposals, there are robust, to say the least, exchanges on the topic daily. :wink: I for one agree with both sides, meaning that:- a.......... no, the 2nd amendment should not, and is not as I understand it, be threatened, and,..........b. yes, military style weapons should not be readily available to the domestic market.

I also have had firearms, both rifles and pistols in the past, and good for you still being involved with them.:cool: "level headed" , as you say, ownership is fun.:wink:

6. robert k

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Steve, you don't have to answer, but if you would be so kind; What precisely did happen to these weapons you say you owned ?

7. stevewatson

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That was in Australia, many years ago when I was an active shooter, I do not shoot now so I do not own them now.:cool:

8. robert k

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Probably crushed now. A shame. Probably guns with rich history and associated with many memories, especially if you inherited any or were gifted with any of them. Common practice in my family to give a rifle or shotgun for Christmas. I believe there is nothing in the world like taking great grandads model 95 Winchester in 7.62 X54 R (because in those days it was easier to get ammo from russia than back east) from the rack and holding it, remembering that you can build a 3,000 acre ranch with a rifle a horse and a couple of calfs. I wonder how much family history has gone to the crusher in other lands.

9. swampstar

swampstar DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Interesting article on Huffington Post about gun proliferation in the Philippines.
    "Security analyst Ed Quitoriano, who regularly advises foreign embassies on threat issues, said there could be as many as four million unlicensed guns across the country. Foreigners are warned by long-time expatriates to avoid any incident that could escalate into violence, because of the potential for a gun to be used on them.This month an Australian man was shot in the head from point blank range at a beach resort he managed, with police suspecting an aggrieved former staff member may have ordered the murder."

10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I knew Paul from my many visits to his beach resort (Blue Rock in Barrio Baretto). He was a good guy and a complete shame some piece of sh*t shot him in the back of the head. Cowardly bastos that/those employee(s) were who hired the assassination.