Dumaguete Info Search

Will you keep a gun when living the Philippines?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by pickled_newt, May 8, 2007.

1. eviethyer

eviethyer DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Most of the people in philppines keep guns with them may be they need it for their security or any other purpose. Having guns in home definitely its dangerous for home and specially for children.

2. roadking

roadking DI Member Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    why should a gun in the house be dangerous, Or are you planning to just leave a loaded weapon lying around where a child might pick it up ?.

3. laguna_dude

laguna_dude DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've heard conflicting advice:

A gentleman in Leyte who is friends w/ the local police told me that although the handgun is registered in his wife's name (who is a filipina), he is allowed to shoot it in self defense.

However, in Laguna I went to a gun store and asked the owner if my friend in Leyte is correct in his understanding. The store owner said that a foreigner is never allowed to use the gun for self defense. Only the registered owner is allowed to use it...

Which account is correct??

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Legally a foreigner is never allowed to own, possess, handle or fire a firearm in this country. Simply put, you can't touch a firearm under any circumstance legally.

Can you get away with it? Well that's a different story.

5. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    I think we have all heard the same conflicting advice. I would ask a local police captain the same question. If it came down to life or death though, I would shoot first and get the details straightened out later.

6. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    I wonder if there is a difference in the law here if you use something other than a gun (knife, crow bar, hammer, whatever) to fight off an intruder in your home or shoot the perp with a gun?
    I keep a gun and a mean dog. If I have to shoot an intruder I will wipe off my fingerprints and hand the gun to my wife who has the license.

7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm not saying I have a gun.....but if I did and end up shooting someone in my house I would do the same.....except I would put the intruders hand to get his prints on it then claim I took it from him and shot him with his own gun.....kick over some furniture to make it look like a struggle happened.

Just remember that you have to clean up the mess afterwards, cleaning some poor, and likely diseased, filipinos blood off your walls, floor and furniture ain't easy or fun. I'm still finding blood spots every now and again from the last incident in my house. Hard to get/find it all. I'd rather not shoot or stab anyone for this reason. You'd also likely be asked for costs for a funeral.....but better theirs than yours.

The Philippines do have laws on blades. Only a certain size is allowed. I'm not sure how they handle it with foreigners though. I imagine any damage you inflict on a poor local would be your responsibility to fix regardless of the situation.

8. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    you thinking is all wrong, just dump it or feed it to the local pig farm, no cops no questions and the cops would be grateful for no disturbing their siesta and creating paper work for them :smile:

9. alex

alex DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

EXPERT BOLA BOLA
    Ratings:
    +1,296 / 1,129
    I wonder how the foeigner that belongs to a pistol club goes getting his fire arms to and from the range ?

10. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    The foreigner that belongs to the club can’t belong to his fire arm; the asawa that is licensed to the firearm would have a license to carry.