Dumaguete Info Search

Will you keep a gun when living the Philippines?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by pickled_newt, May 8, 2007.

1. xm65

xm65 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    intresting... are those things common?

2. chi town

chi town DI Member Showcase Reviewer Air Force Active Duty

Ratings:
    +47 / 1
    Sage advice Marky. Personally, my first line of defense would be motion dectors spotlights and a big dog with a big bark. Next line, a mean mother-in -law??

Chi Town

3. Marky

Marky DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Big dogs are the way to go, if somebody has a little more than that than I'd advise just keeping it out of sight and zip the lip.

4. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Last I heard only a Philippines national can license a gun. So a Filipino wife could do it. If a foreignor uses it to shoot an intruder, the police won't lose any sleep over it. But if the foreignor used it to settle a traffic dispute, or silence a neighbour's rooster....then it gets really problematic..

5. Dave

Dave DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If a foreigner were to rightfully use a gun in self defense in his or her own home it’s fairly likely they would get a pass from the PNP. However any number of bad things could still come to be. At the very least we would be paying “Blood money” to the perp’s family. At the worst later down the road you or a family member could be killed in revenge.
    All my adult life I have owned hand guns in the US. Once I move to RP I'm not so sure that would be a good idea.

6. 415gem

415gem DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Big Dog WOOF !!!

Marky , Hello . I am moving to Dumaguete area in October and really liked Valencia when I visited . I know word of mouth or " the eyes " of locals that see places for rent are the most powerful means of finding a place . I hope I can get to know you more and if you were able to help find me a place , I would reward you for the favor . Regards Kevin

7. Marky

Marky DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    What you looking for Kevin? A house or apartment to rent or a lot to build on?

Now is a good time to buy a lot here in Valencia. The prices will never be cheaper.

8. 415gem

415gem DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mabuhay

Marky , Thanks for the reply . I actually would be looking for a overlooking lot in Apolong , Sagbang or the W Balabag Rd . I know there are some great areas in Sibulon overlooking the Tanon Strait . I fully plan to rent / lease for a year ( 14 months Pinoy lease ) then see if the Dumaguete is really the place I like the most . I looked at a few place way up near the Japanese shrine . I have to admit , I am probably gonna be picky when settling on my wifes home ( heheheheee ) . I would like to be in Valencia because of the subsidies water and electric . If not overlooking , W. Balabag area , great view of mountain, lots of year round water . Guess that`s not too picky :rolleyes: . Hahahahah . Regards Kevin

9. Marky

Marky DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Were on W. Balabag Road. Its concreted now with streetlights.

Yes, Valencia is the place to be.

10. David J Holman

David J Holman DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    .....I dont wish to be alarmist, BUT didnt I hear that Valencia has possible problems with the new Geo-Thermal Power Plant....both on health and possible terrorist target ??

Dave