Dumaguete Info Search

Will you keep a gun when living the Philippines?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by pickled_newt, May 8, 2007.

1. Philippinediver

Philippinediver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Dog

Yes there is a huge dog problem and often times they impede quality of life when trying to sleep. I have found the following to be solutions I have heard from scores of people mostly when I was in Luzon. I am sure the same holds true here.

Approach the dog owner by way of your wife or gf or a filipino friend and ask politely if they can do something about the dog barking. Unfortunately, practically 100% of the time this will go ignored. In this case you might want to go to the Barangay captain and explain your position. This may translate into you being suggested to offer to buy the offending dogs at a reasonable price, generally under 500 peso per dog. Oftenimes there is one dog that acts as a catalyst. If successful take the dog or dogs to a distant area and let them go. If unsuccessful the only solution is to get someone to take care of the dog permanently. My understanding there are people that would be happy to help you in these situations.

2. tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Hi Phil,

I'm sitting here chuckling for real, just thinking of the horendous situation that would ensue if my wife were part of that idea. I can certainly see her buying all those dogs....the bad part, we would end of keeping every d*mn one of them...that's about the time I would consider a gun in the Philippines.

3. tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Are foriegners allowed to own pellet guns? I was just wondering because if someone felt the need to own a gun, just for protection, I'd think a pellet gun would be a viable alternative, and the chances would be alot less for actually killing someone, but they'd at least be able to put a robber in a great deal of pain...unless the robber were hit in the head, then they'd be put out of pain permanently. Anyway, I was just wondering if a pellet gun were able to be kept by us'ns

4. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Prefaced with: As far as I know.
    foreigners can own Co2 pellet guns. Readily available in Opsimus and other in town stores. Rifles predominate, 3-5 thou P. Hand guns rare and if you find one , it will be a single shot, charge the pistol from a tank type.
    I wanted to chase some howling cats away at one point. The cats stopped, and I forgot the issue.

While waiting for the "crime lab" to decifer the registration and engine numbers on my new old car purchase, I struck up an idle conversation with the sargent about hand gun ownership, knowing already it was impossible for me to legally own one, I wanted to get his take on it.

Here is what he told me. no problem sir, just have your wife fillup the forms and put it in her name. Then get a carry permit so you can take it with you when you go to Cebu. (Permits apparently are by certain geographic region). Make sure your wife carries it. If in your home, and an intruder comes knocking, you will be the one to shoot sir. Make sure you take lessons at the shooting range so you can kill him.

This was a little puzzling at first until I was later informed that death benefits are cheaper than to pay long term medical if the family of the perpetrator files a case. If you are a foreigner you can take that to the bank. This is the same reason Ceres liner drivers are encouraged to back up if they run over someone. Finish em off.

I guess finally i would ask anyone wondering whether to own a gun. Are you willing to point it at a person and kill them? If not get a dog and a Tazer.

Also, retribution mentioned in an earlier post, is no joke here.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    The pellet gun is not a bad idea. In the heat of the moment an intruder may be unlikely to notice it's not an actual firearm. I'm more interested in scaring intruders off than killing anyone.

6. Cyndi

Cyndi DI Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Thanks for the info RHB. I was VERY interested in the laws and prices. A friend of mine was also asking so I will pass this on to him.

Pellet gun is a GREAT alternative for sure.

7. lakotamoon

lakotamoon DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    whew! just checked in to see this post created some discussion... no interest in offending anyone... racist? hehehe then my tree god children from three different races, brazil, south africa and louisiana are in serious trouble... hehehe not really. just fortunate enough to have lived in many cultures/countries and learn that the human race is both good and bad and every ethnic group has it's portion of each. this said... still consider the RP as a place to retire... just got to work out the firearms issue...
    yes i agree with you timn8ter... first choice is my 870 pump... care to kill anyone... really tired of the process a long time ago but... when the need is presented... best judged by 12 than carried by seven (usa law of course)
    keep up the great site... i've gained a ton of excellant info here.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    I am a newcomer here, both on the forum and the Philippines. But what I have learned here in the Philippines as been learned quickly. I traveled alone for almost a year. People told me I was crazy. I traveled on my motorcycle into the hills of Cebu, and Negros mountains without fear. Rode from Bacolod to dumgte. to Bayawan and beyond. Maybe as some counciled I should have had some,(fear that is). I never met anything but friendly people, at worst indifference. I have no doubt met so called NPA without knowing who or what they where., still trying to figure out the subtle differences between various opposition groups. I'll start that thread later.

Anyway, with the danger of preaching to the converted, there is nothing like living in the place first and get the drift of things first hand before getting your mindset cast about fire arms possession here. I am not anti gun, don't peg me, I know several guys who carry handguns, don't ask aout the legality, I didn't.
    In my limited experience, houshold robberies are few, most foreigner suitable properties have extensive walls, gates, and grills on the window. Best protection of all is relatives living next door or friendly neighbors.
    The real danger, not that I think it is a looming threat, is traveling at night on a motorcycle in a unaware state of mind. Walking alone with a bag, or at night. Drive by holduppers travel in teams, one with a gun, one driving the motorbike. Where you gona keep your hand gun, under your seat?
    I may live to eat my words, but watching ones back, making sure no one is following you, or stalking you, is the best defense against random crime here. If you go looking for trouble, you are likely to find it. Having a hand gun for peace of mind is great as long as you are aware of the consequences if you find the need to use it.
    The justice system here is not like the U.S.. Local status, who you are related to, and wealth win. ( on second thougt it is a lot like the U.S. only more so). Favoring locals over visitors.

Better to make peace with the local clan leader in your neighborhood or Barangay in my opinion. They, once you have their respect will protect you at your home. Dogs are a great idea as well. When your traveling is the issue, and a foreigner can not legally carry a gun here. So, unless you plan on having your spouse ride shotgun every trip to town... not meaning to harp, just a plea for open mindedness.

9. Pogi

Pogi DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with RHB..I've been here three years now living in a compound under a long term lease agreement...Everyone there is my friend and they "all" have plenty of guns in their homes....I simply do not need one.

The first night we arrived and moved into the small two bedroom (wife and I set up a 40 year long term lease and have totally remodeled the place), the locals set up the tables under the mango trees, brought out the San Mig, Red Horse and assorted brandy's along with their assortment of personal firearms/armaments of various calibers and descriptions.

Felt like I was back home on the farm in the mid-west drinking a few Bud's and having some target practice....After insisting that I fire a few rounds of their various collections (note: few means just that, ammo is higher than hell here), we went on to have a great night and I made a bunch of new friends...Haven't seen the guns brought out once since then except for the eldest member of the clan that does his evening rounds of the large compound with .38 in tow.

I never felt safer in my life...I really feel sorry for the fool that trys messing with me or my wife or our stuff here...My Caviteño friends are all the gun I will ever need.

Don't mess with the guns here, just make good friends...No worries....Cheers

10. Marky

Marky DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    when it comes to firearms, neither confirm nor deny.
    Ambiguity is your friend here