Dumaguete Info Search

Siquijor Witchcraft in Siquijor

Discussion in 'Surrounding Areas' started by Tlai, Jun 2, 2011.

1. TradeWind

TradeWind DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ivy at Dondeezco Resort saw what she thought was "the white witch." An American Friend in siquijor also told me he had an injury that a physician in the U.S. said would definitely require surgery. He was cured in Siquijor.

2. jimf

jimf DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +142 / 18
    Apologies for getting off topic. Still working on my posting etiquette.

3. navytexan

navytexan DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    There's post etiquette here :eek: ? My wife told me she was from Dumaquete not Siquijor :D

4. gypsy

gypsy DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    my mother who is from cantil-e swears her grandfather learned sorcery in siquijor and that back in the days there were really a lot of strange goings-on there, and that her grandfather said the island was a portal to other dimensions. now, i think it's mostly hype. if there were indeed genuine witches in siquijor they're probably in the mountains, although the one my friends and i found in 2001 was a sham. while i was in college, my roommate claimed she was from siquijor and that her grandmother was a witch. all the bitches at the boarding house stayed away from her. then she confided to me that it wasn't true. she said most siquijorians don't even believe in such things now, although they used siquijor's reputation to their advantage.

5. fingers

fingers DI Junior Member Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +5 / 3
    I made plans to go to siquijor during our recent visit in June to dumgte. My wife actually got upset and said we should not go. She finally talked to her aunt who convinced her its ok to go there. We went and had a great time. Very relaxing and beautiful island. Great beaches and did some good diving. Friendly people and just a great experience. Now she says she would like to go back again next time. Me also.

6. permres

permres DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    We are looking forward to going, hopefully in November, seems it would just be an interesting place to visit with lots of history. As far as that goes, one of the local guys here in Dumaguete was telling me that there is still a belief that there are goblins that live in brush, etc..and men will still say "excuse me while I relieve myself" to the plants so that the goblins won't come out and hurt them!!! That is hilarious!!!

7. PrensBana

PrensBana DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Witchcraft sorcery magic

. YES

. Dunno exactly, but i reckon gypsy would be around the mark
    . Could have said: "Keep looking"
    . But i would advise against that.

. Now witchcraft is a topic that i do know a bit about.

Yes there are fakes, but i can absolutely assure you that spiritual powers do exist and can realy make amazing things happen.

. Witchcraft is real, it even happens here in my local area!

. My advice is curt and simple..........

. Have nothing to do with it!

. All those who practice or hire the powers of witchcraft become acursed.

. My knowledge is from both literary and experiential sources.

. It seems that i continually come into contact with this topic.

When i last left Negros, i sat next to members of an international film crew who had just completed a documentary on a magic man from Siquijor.

They told me the doco followed the storey of a Manila woman who went to Siquijor to meet this magician who would cast a spell that would cause her husband to leave the woman for whom he left her and return to her.

One of them did give me his email address so i could find out if the spell worked, but alas, i have not yet found that piece of paper.

Will have another look for it, because i'd like to know

The doco was made for a German TV channel, the producer was German, the director was Turkish, the Cameraman was Tagalog, the sound man was Malaysian and the Cebuano translator was from Negros originally.
    It must have been interesting communicational logistics

cheers

PB

8. GOwin

GOwin DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't believe in this stuff, but out of curiosity, I interviewed Siquijor residents about it when I went around the island. Everywhere I stopped, I asked *Everyone* willing to talk about it and it was simply shrugged it off, and dismissed as part of cultural folklore, and not something to be seriously taken. Perhaps, the results are such because I was talking to younger, and presumably better schooled people.

9. blueskies

blueskies DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +204 / 35
    I used to lived for almost 2 years in siquijor island at the southeast coast a bit remote area, and I waited those witchcraft thing but nothing happened. for me it's good that people get scared of those stories as it keeps the island less populated. I love the cleanliness, no traffic, no bad drivers and smooth concreted roads everywhere in siquijor. the island offers a stunning landscape, but sometimes during bad season it's hard to cross the island for an emergency situation. I had to take a 4 seater plane to go back to the island because ocean jet were unreliable that time but I think they have more boats now. I would in courage everyone to have a short holiday in siquijor..

10. blueskies

blueskies DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +204 / 35
    To Jimf,
    Girls are beautiful in Philippines, but, in siquijor a total of 7girls barrowed(flirted or rented...) my husband for a short time! :smile: I had to be a catwoman to won the battle!