Dumaguete Info Search

Update Working on fixing a security issue...among other things

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & User Feedback' started by Rye83, Oct 24, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Most of the changes I made were visual and changes in ad placements. If you see something not working as it should let me know.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I understand running a forum is number 1 not cheap and number two it doesn't fix/upgrade itself. I for one am grateful for what you are doing. Keep up the good work:thumbsup:

DaveD

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nutz2U2

Nutz2U2 DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +269 / 29
    Hi there Dustin,

You have already implemented few of the things I was going to mention.

Advertising (Size, Positioning, Cache, etc).
    Signatures (Linking to Graphics) again stored in cache if possible.
    Addons again running in cache (always loaded) - IF at all possible.

Connected here from Cadawinonan - still mobile LTE (that has not changed) but the forum feels "smoother" for a better word.

Not sure if DI is getting charged for data storage, caches, traffic, etc ...

Thus prompting:-

Server running locally - "should" reduce DNS lookup delays.
    - ability to dedicate all available resources for the forum and not sharing resources with others.
    - ability to "grow" the hardware as DI keeps growing.

Might be more economically viable in the long term.

Even with dynamic IP addressing that is fairly easily achieved.

My 2 cents worth ... (again).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Changed google ads to text ads only. As long as this doesn't hurt the ad revenue it can stay that way. (This reduced page sizes by almost half.) I left them as responsive so that they would fit mobile screens better and provide appropriately sized ads.
    All images, text and add-ons should start caching when possible. Takes time but page loads should start speeding up.

I'm not anywhere close to hitting my limits.

I am still looking at moving the server location. I think the transferring process is fairly straight forward, I just need to contact someone a little more in the know if anything bad could happen or if other changes would need to be made because of that. I think the West Coast (Americas) would be the best choice. (The Philippines is not an option if that's what you meant by "locally".)

I do appreciate the input.

5. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Fyi, on my pc lte, DI is very fast, on my Android using Opra Mini it's a little slow along with all other sites, I havn't seen any certificate warnings..

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Digital Ocean in Singapore is about as good as you are going to get for server hosting. They have to be somewhere and that somewhere is always going to be better or worse for people depending on where they are located.

When you want to be "everywhere" you start looking into serving external assets (images, etc) from CDN's.

I feel like we have talked about this before, but you could look into CloudFlare. The service has a CDN as well as DNS among other features. The issue I have had with CloudFlare is that it blocks out bad traffic and the Philippines is a regular source of bad traffic. I think you can shut this feature off though, not sure.

Another relatively affordable CDN provider is MaxCDN, which has more features on the CDN side and I believe it works well with CloudFlare. I believe both of these (or maybe just MaxCDN, can't remember) even allows you to cache parts of your site on the CDN's rather than just external assets.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I agree. Since about 60-70 percent of my traffic comes from the Philippines I think it would be best to stick with Singapore. I did several speed tests on different DO server locations. Singapore did the best overall after several tests. Toronto came in a close second but had worse latency. Of course this is just from my location and ISP and whatever speed my crappy internet I had at the moment I took the test....but on average Singapore scored better than the others.

DOSGP1.png
    DOSGP1.png DOTOR.png DOFRA.png DOAMS.png DONCY.png DOSFO.png DOLON.png
    (Click Thumbnail to Enlarge)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Nutz2U2

Ratings:
    +269 / 29
    Very true. I use a VPN service that uses random 115 servers - and Singapore and Hong Kong are best connects followed by Canada - then NL, DE, DK and few others (mostly EU).

Surprisingly US and GB are not in the top 10 of these servers for speed and latency.
    Actually performing very poorly - obviously due to large traffic. Or other reasons :stop:.

Strangely - my DNS encryption servers via AUS give me excellent results - amazing how fast things can get when you manage to bypass some of the Philippines choke points - I suspect our DNS servers are one of their biggest failures or just clever traffic volume control points. But then there are a lot of cables already owned and used by Telstra in SE Asia - so no big surprise there.

Off course all of the above will then be subject to the major game change IF and WHEN Telstra do get involved in the PH communication sector.
    They have just committed another A$5b for Mobile Infrastructure upgrades. They have 41% share of the AUS market.

Again I am just rambling right along and most of you must have already fallen asleep reading this.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    It makes you wonder now telestra are coming here is why globe have just brought out a premium service even though limited at the moment.

10. Nutz2U2

Ratings:
    +269 / 29
    The Fibre Cable service will require new infrastructure nationwide. Globe and PLDT have been advertising these Fibre Cable plans for quit some time.
    It will be transition to Internet / VOIP / Internet TV / Streaming / etc - all in one package. It is the consumer's future growth area of demand.
    50% (am being generous here) of the country is DSL avail, while LTE 4G is the new wireless marketing tool. Fibre is limited to cities (big ones).

Somebody tell me who will outlay the monies to build / support / maintain the Fibre Technology. It will takes years before anybody actually will do anything productive about the short comings of current LTE and DSL infrastructure.

I live in Cadawinonan in Dumaguete - there is still not even DSL out here. Have been advised there is no short term plane (hell there is no plan) as to when the next stage of barangay upgrades will happen. Fibre in our livetime in Dumaguete - I doubt it.

Telstra is talking with San Miguel in regards to expanding into SE Asia. They have infrastructure in place (underwater cables) reaching many places in SE Asia.

It might be an "incentive" to get the others off their butts. Or just plain hot air being sprouted.

But Telstra wants / must grow / expand. SE Asia makes sense.