Dumaguete Info Search

WoW Sports Bar

Discussion in 'Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment' started by Rye83, Oct 28, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Made a visit to the bar tonight. Clean place with friendly staff, wings were good and drinks were cold. Nice having an aircon sports bar in Dumaguete.

• Like Like x 2
  2. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I popped in here last week. I went downstairs. There was a bar, nobody behind it and one table with people sitting at it. I believe the people at the table were the staff. Nobody bothered to get up, so I just turned around and walked back out.

This isn't an uncommon experience in the Philippines, but I have no patience with this as a first impression.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    This post is referring to life in the general here not to any experience at WOW.
    One of the first thing I learned in the Philipines is to never disturb the cashiers, waitress or other people who are paid to serve you by some well meaning business owner, if they are texting, laughing at each other jokes, talking about what time they woke up or some other immensely important topic, because the level of service can go from bad to worst.
    As a past business owner it would p*ss me off to find one of my good clients telling me how poorly they were served by one of my recently departed employees. Many time the owners are not aware of the level of service provided. Although I agree to vote with my legs and walk out like the Dude, I also try to make the owner aware in a friendly manner of the level of service their customers are receiving. I usually mention that the foreigners are use to a different level of service than the Filipinos. If they wants to have foreigner customers then they might want to adjust their level of service.
    Yesterday I took two Filipinas into a little resto-bar. They noted they were the only two Filipinos, other than employee in the place. (there were over a dozen expats there. Obviously that place has figured out what it takes to keep foreigners happy. Interesting it was my third visit, and I returned the second time to tell the manage that though that his security guard was partying and some fish for my cats was missing off my MC on my previous visit (note: don't f*ck with my cat's food), with that being my only stop on the way home. I bumped into the manager on my way out this time and he thanked me for coming back.
    There is a sign on the wall it says: "If you like your experience here tell it on trip adviser, is you don't like something here then tell the manager". To me that means the management cares. I wish I could say I have seen this sign more often around town.

• Like Like x 2
  4. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I think the dude's experience could possibly be chalked up to "when the cats away". Personally, I wouldn't have the right mentality to own a bar (or any other service related business) in the Philippines. There are not enough people in Dumaguete to handle the turnover rate I would have. That being said I'm sure the owner will take note of any complaints from customers and try to have them resolved.

John, what time did you walk in there? I notice you said you turned around and walked out, did you at least get to the bar and see if anyone would get up to serve you? I've been in there before during the day and thought nobody was around but once I got to the bar I noticed the staff were there but just had very short seats behind the bar to sit on that made them hard to see from the door.

5. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I'm not sure what time it was. It was getting late though. I probably would have had a better experience if it would have been during lunch or evening.

I should have gone to the bar or asked but I get tired of having to decipher who is actually working.

This is asking too much, but the staff should be proactively selling.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. gord

gord DI Member Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★ No Ads ★ Showcase Reviewer ✤✤Forum Sponsor✤✤ Forum Sponsor

businessman
    Ratings:
    +155 / 13
    As a business owner in the service industry here myself, I know full well of the problems of trying to get Filipino employees to understand the concept of proper customer service. We work hard and spend a lot of money to get customers to walk in the door and that money and effort can be wasted by incident such as the Dude described. Though it is a fact of life here, it is not one that I put up with when I decide where I will spend my money as a customer nor one that I expect my customers to accept when they spend their money on one of my services What I appreciate most is when a customer has a bad experience, they tell me about it so that I can make changes to fix the problem. I do know the owner of WOW and am believe he feels the same way. I am sure he will do what is necessary now that he has heard about the issue, and I hope you give him another chance.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gerry_bc

gerry_bc DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +608 / 34
    Speaking of the frustrations of owning and managing the staff here in the Fills, there were a few things I had the girls go when they worked for me at my pizza place last year..
    Cell phones were left in the back room, NO TXTING IN FRONT OF CUSTOMERS. I told them if I ever saw them txtn in view of customers they would be enjoying their last day.
    Speak english at all times, bad english is better than no english. Talking in front of customers in their native language made many 4ners feel the girls were talking behind their back (while right in front of them)
    Always repeat the order at least once.. Better to explain it twice to a server than to have to send it back when it comes. I never minded telling my order twice if it made the difference in getting it right.

The most important thing an owner can do is to BE THERE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. gord

gord DI Member Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★ No Ads ★ Showcase Reviewer ✤✤Forum Sponsor✤✤ Forum Sponsor

businessman
    Ratings:
    +155 / 13
    I absolutely agree with Gerry that a small business owner HAS to be there as much as possible. It has been my experience that that is true in any country but here in the Philippines it is especially so. I am currently writing a series of articles about operating a small business in the Philippines ( chapter 1 , chapter 2 ) and plan to write one chapter on the importance of learning the culture as there are things that are totally different here when it comes to human resource management that are crucial to understand for any success. I find the biggest one is that Filipino generally seem unable to handle anything that remotely resembles criticism. I have found that they are overly sensitive and have to be approached in a totally differnt way than North American employees.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. oztony

oztony DI Senior Member Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +211 / 39
    100% Gord , if the boss is not there , they would prefer the front door to be locked , and criticism , well thin skin takes on a new meaning in PI

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2