Dumaguete Info Search

Review Best Posts in Thread: Y-Not

1. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    are you guys still reviewing the restaurant / deli in this thread? if the WhyNot wouldn't be here in Duma I would miss something. great foods, fresh bread, al the cheese and sausages and wine. i don't care what's going on at the disco. tastes of us expats / tourists are so different...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Because foreigners can't own property or businesses.

He most likely does have a 13A (or other appropriate visa). I personally don't like the man but there is no reason in trying to drag his name through the mud or imply he is doing anything illegal just because you don't like his bar. The bar has been there long before you or I ever stepped foot in the Dumaguete. The man obviously knows how to run a business in the Philippines and the locals (at least those that matter) seem to be perfectly fine with it.

lol "Unsuspecting"? I think almost everyone that goes there knows exactly what is going on. If you are an old gullible man (or woman) then you are about to learn a life lesson you should have learned decades ago. Live and learn.

lol Oh please, have you ever been to the Filipino versions of the Why Not type of bars? There are many more bars full of easy girls or prostitutes with a primarily Filipino customer base than there are ones designed for foreigners. Filipinos are not a bunch of angels.

If you don't like bars where you can pick up girls (or prostitutes) then don't go to them. Driving that sh*t underground will not stop the business or demand and will only put the women in more danger. The profession has been around at least since humans learned how to read and write, it isn't going to go away.

• Like Like x 3
  3. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    Even though I no longer use recreational drugs, I know that beer on the rocks taste like $hit. I feel for all you guy that have to drink that $hit. (beer on the rocks)

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  4. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    And spelling counts.
    YOUtopia, San Diego's Regional Burning Man Event

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If I have health problems (at any age) that would be made worse by going to discos I wouldn't be going discos. But I also wouldn't be making my health problems the business' problems by leaving nasty comments/reviews.

I'm sure I'm just saying that because I'm still "young" (35 is middle aged) and my core beliefs, integrity and ethics, that my family drilled into me from a very young age and the military reinforced as an adult, will change as I get older. /sarc

Seems there is something that interests you in the local discos.

It gets rather hard to keep something maintained when you have a bunch of idiots abusing the equipment constantly.

Comparing a Dumaguete restaurant to US restaurant standards is disingenuous. Seems more like you have some type of personal vendetta against Why Not. There is honest/helpful criticism and then there is what you are doing.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I can't really see there are any problems with Y-not, if you don't like it stay away, generally there are more foreigners whit a bad attitude that's not only in Y-not or Dumaguete, I see same in Cebu and other cities that attracts foreigner, time change, the world get smaller. In Thailand there are homeless foreigners who sleep on the beach in tourist areas, maybe part of the reason Thailand tightens their visa rules

• Like Like x 2
  7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Thanks for the tip: signed, ALL LOCAL EX-PATS! :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    "Suggesting they are above human nature and don't act on the same desires and vices like the rest of us is completely ridiculous."

Work on your reading comprehension.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. HappyWanderer

HappyWanderer DI New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I like the WhyNot (chicos), the food is above average and the potions are generous. Their lunch sandwiches are very good and I eat there frequently. I don't go into any filipino restaurant expecting western style service and I'm happier for it. Can't stand it when a waiter comes over when you have your mouth full of food and asks "is everything ok?". Like, were you expecting it not to be?. Sure would like it they changed the DJ at WhyNot hough, he's crap. Same shitty thump thump thump music all night long. Can we get a "Flashbacks" night once a week where they play '80's music? Old farts like me can dance to it and all the Pinays know the words!

• Like Like x 2
  10. DI Admin

DI Admin DI Junior Member Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor

Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Blood Type:
    A-
    If you go to the ref in the restaurant, the beers are always cold there. It's often quicker service too.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1