Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Yada Yada / The Off Topic Arena

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It is not a commonly used word. I googled it myself. We also shouldn't be degrading or looking down on people who can openly admit they didn't know something and took the time to go find the information the previously did not have. This is an admirable trait that more people should have. The world would be a lot better place if more people did this.

Also, there are over 17,000 words in use and over 47,000 obsolete words, in the English language (yeah, I googled that). I highly doubt you, or anyone else, know all of them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,629 / 2,895
    I agree, apart from the "too much" - humour/humor is an essential aspect of life for a huge majority of people, otherwise it would have probably withered (as has bear-baiting, dog-fighting and cock-fighting in most advanced cultures). Some of the most popular TV series were humor-based (Friends, Seinfeld, Cheers) and viewed by millions worldwide, even years after they ended.

IMO, we should all make time in our lives for humour/humor and be enriched by it - it can even help people with mild depression as it does have chemical effects in the brain.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +765 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Yeah, that's certainly true.

However, and that's why I think you were overreacting in your first reply to the parochalism comment, as a poster in a forum with an international audience, it is a good thing to write posts in a way that they make sense to as much of an audience as possible, without relying on too much context. In this case it would simply have made the post even more helpful to replace 'US' with 'home country' once while writing, than to require every future non-US reader to do this replacement while reading in order to get the correct meaning. Just pointing that out should not result in hurt feelings and defensive reactions.

Is it 'usual parochalism'? I don't know, but it's not completely unheard of that people from a certain part of the world seem to forget / ignore the fact that there's other nationalities present, as well.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,483 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Wow...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +954 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Sovereign citizens believe that they are above all laws. They look for definitions, court cases, verses from the Bible, perhaps take a line from the 1215 Magna Carta, a misreading or two from the Constitution and the founding fathers and put it together after spending $200 for a binder that instructs them how not to pay taxes, that they do not have to buy a license for their pet puppy dog or a drivers license because they are really “travelers” and not commercial drivers, that courts illegally function on the basis of maritime law based on some 1910 legal dictionary on Indiana law (explaining the gold fringe around the flag lol). It is your patriotic duty to disobey all laws that you pick and choose not to like. They buy into scams enriching a few sovereign con artists. And they even exist in this region, waiting for the opportunity to burst into a forum like this because they really believe their BS is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Now, personally, I would love to be sitting at a table with a glass of wine, while you two went back and forth in friendly debate. I think that would be a very entertaining, and insightful, day.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,483 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    If you are of SSA benefit age and if you have biological children please make sure that they are awarded a US SS Number. This will enable them to receive SSA benefits while you are living (half of your maximum benefits) or after you pass 75% of your maximum benefits up to your maximum family amount. ( SSA will determine this figure) This benefit will last until the child is 18 or somewhat longer if they are still in school, so to not leave your family without the money due them in their time of need .

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,399 / 1,263
    When I look at all the GCQ, ECQ, MECG, cancelled flights, rebooked flights (cancelled again), two people per tricycle, one person per tricycle, ridding in tandem, not ridding in tandem, oh and don't forget to wear your shoes.
    TURKEYS is the second thing that comes to my mind. I'd tell you what the first thing is but I don't want to be in the time out box.
    @jimeve I don't think anyone intended to insult your efforts.
    I had BBQ turkey here a couple of times. It was surprisingly good .

• Like Like x 5
  9. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +577 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I'm a non-smoker all my life. But I respect everyone's right to make that determination for him/herself. However, I think smokers have the responsibility to be aware of where their smoke is going when they ignore the new law (as happens all day every day.) Smoke till your heart's content (or lethally clogged.) But keep it out of my face, especially when I am trying to enjoy a meal.

These places that set aside "smoking areas" are a good idea. What amuses me is seeing smokers standing inside the area until their cigarette is consumed, then leaving to go to a fresh air table because THEY don't like other people's smoke in their faces when they eat!

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It is something that has been discussed many times on this forum, many more times on other forums and several times on one forum for owners/admin of forums I frequent.

There seems to be 3 views from forum members and staff on the topic in every forum that has had these ratings available at one time or another:

1. Some think the ratings are a bad thing as they think forums are for discussion and disagree/dislike ratings discourage this. (And/or they feel that the ratings are being used in a trolling manner.)
    2. Some think the ratings are a good thing for forums as it cuts fluff posts down. It also keeps people in touch with reality and let's the poster know that they might not hold a popular opinion. (And/or the person leaving the rating just doesn't want to reply/get in a debate with the poster over a specific topic.)
    3. The vast majority just don't give a sh*t if the ratings are there are not.

I understand all three points but I personally lean to #2 myself. (I've argued for these neutral ratings to stay for quite some time on this forum.)

Admins of other forums seem to have taken 1 of 3 actions to deal with the complaints:
    1. Remove the neutral ratings.
    2. Keep the neutral ratings.
    3. Keep the disagree/dislike ratings but make them positive ratings.
    I personally think option 3 is a nice compromise for most forums but I don't feel it will work on DI for a few reasons. Or maybe it would. Dunno.

When I removed the three ratings it wasn't just some random decision. I read what other admins were dealing with and listened to all sides of the argument. (Yeah, I didn't way more time than I should have on it.) I felt they were causing more problems than they were worth on the forum.

We probably shouldn't get too excited and resort to bickering and personal attacks over a few 12x12 pixel emoticons though. There are more important things in life.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1