Dumaguete Info Search

Yada Yada / The Off Topic Arena

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Rye83, Sep 27, 2014.

1. bananabred

bananabred DI New Member Restricted Account Infamous

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    • Warning point issued. Use the "Report" button.
    Apparently this forum has digressed from informative to a bunch of old men laughing at their own jokes. But thank you for those who provided information. I think I now understand why that foreigner left the forum for good the other day. Where is a moderator when ya need one? Sad!

bananabred
    This message by bananabred has been hidden. This message may be off-topic or have violated forum rules. (Show message)
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Trollin' Trollin' x 1
  2. Senjenbing

Senjenbing DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines Navy

Milliways - at the end of time and matter
    Ratings:
    +419 / 198
    I am of the opinion that a sense of humour (SOH) is essential and particularly relevant in the current world situation. It must be quite depressing for those that do not possess one but there is light on the horizon. The SOH store is situated adjacent to the enthusiasm store and both will resume business once morale improves.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,101 / 333
    I think its harmless, just something that happens when people have too much time on their hands.:bored:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Yeah, that's certainly true.

However, and that's why I think you were overreacting in your first reply to the parochalism comment, as a poster in a forum with an international audience, it is a good thing to write posts in a way that they make sense to as much of an audience as possible, without relying on too much context. In this case it would simply have made the post even more helpful to replace 'US' with 'home country' once while writing, than to require every future non-US reader to do this replacement while reading in order to get the correct meaning. Just pointing that out should not result in hurt feelings and defensive reactions.

Is it 'usual parochalism'? I don't know, but it's not completely unheard of that people from a certain part of the world seem to forget / ignore the fact that there's other nationalities present, as well.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Thank you. That explains why you mentioned toilet paper!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I agree with a reply above that having a sense of humor/humour (I am trying to be inclusive here) is a good thing in the present circumstances and at any time - as long as it does not cause unreasonable hurt to others.

I am the one who went off-topic on your 'cheese' thread BUT I did so AFTER your question had been answered (that is the crucial point). The three main sources (see Mr Rye, sources here, sources there, sources everywhere :smile: ) of cheese were already given and, though not redundant, the thread had served its purpose.

I did not just head in and steal a thread that was still running. I did consider the remote possibility of the OP objecting but hoped he could bend a little in the name of good humour/humor and not worry too much about a thread which served his purpose getting corrupted. It is a bit like picking up a discarded stick and playing with it.

BUT, if you feel hurt then my apologies to you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I agree, apart from the "too much" - humour/humor is an essential aspect of life for a huge majority of people, otherwise it would have probably withered (as has bear-baiting, dog-fighting and cock-fighting in most advanced cultures). Some of the most popular TV series were humor-based (Friends, Seinfeld, Cheers) and viewed by millions worldwide, even years after they ended.

IMO, we should all make time in our lives for humour/humor and be enriched by it - it can even help people with mild depression as it does have chemical effects in the brain.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. BEACHBUMM

BEACHBUMM DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 18
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Funny how you say that when your question was answered and the purpose of the thread was fulfilled. Light up a little, man! A joke here and there doesn't hurt anybody especially in this Pandemic. We're all just chilling and trying to ease the mood. It's the new year and you're bringing negative vibes with you, that's just not nice innit? Can't rob people of their right to share jokes just because you don't have a sense of humor. And I've read the altercation of the happy camper and the mod, pretty sure you did not understand why he left lol. But nevertheless, you're welcome to follow him if it means you let old men enjoy the forum without any "DRAMA" as the gf says. Ugh OF everywhere... Am I using this abbreviations right? Lol

• Like Like x 3
  9. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    You had to Google that? It was originally used in this thread by a European for whom English is a second language and who probably assumed Americans knew the meaning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djfinn6230
    This message by djfinn6230 has been hidden. This message may be off-topic or have violated forum rules. (Show message)
    • Trollin' Trollin' x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It is not a commonly used word. I googled it myself. We also shouldn't be degrading or looking down on people who can openly admit they didn't know something and took the time to go find the information the previously did not have. This is an admirable trait that more people should have. The world would be a lot better place if more people did this.

Also, there are over 17,000 words in use and over 47,000 obsolete words, in the English language (yeah, I googled that). I highly doubt you, or anyone else, know all of them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1