Dumaguete Info Search

Siquijor Yamashita's Treasure

Discussion in 'Surrounding Areas' started by Cerne, Feb 21, 2016.

1. OP
    OP
    Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    and the stupidity gets worse and worse. The jungle telegraph/tsimis rumour jugernaut just grows and grows. Amongst the latest rumours flying around the baranguay is that the deceased had found a chest gold just before the cave-in (one imagines it was a bit like the ones you see in Pirate movies, made of old wood and embossed with brass studs. When you open it dubloons, jewels and gold jewellry are piled high...a spider runs acoss the surface etc).

Legend has it that chests like this are booby trapped with either explosive or poison gas. The locals favour the poison gas theory. It explains to them why the site smells so "bahoo" (bad). Locals theorise that the gas was released just before the cave in. Relatives of the deceased are saying things to the effect of: one of the deceased had a premonition not to work that day/one of the workers had a dream that in two days they would hit the paydirt/one of the workers saw a Japanese soldier ghost the night before the cave-in etc etc etc.

The rational side of things has gone flying out of the island. Siquijor is full of caves - air is bound to become musty, 'bahoo' if there is inadequate ventilation (it's why my forefathers carried canaries whilst mining natch). Their theories do not explain the sudden cave in - easy; at high tide the amount of water pressure above the pit dislodged the rocks at the pit walls causing the catastrophe. It's within an earthquake zone...minor barely detectable tremours could have combined with the water pressure. Let alone that a badly dug pit by a bunch of amateurs is a death trap anyway! Jesus.

Well, I am back next week for a month or two. It should provide for minor diversion. I pity the victims. The mine owner and his business accomplices have long fled now and the police have made no arrests. :(

PS the bloke who painted the family jewels purple in 2007 is a local nut job. No self respecting Celt would desecrate such a fine piece of iron age art work. I am innocent!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    You know, I was just pulling your

leg.

Hope you'll forgive me on this one as I'm sure you're not THAT kind of dirty-dog rascal.

But I did have a wee bit of fun pulling your

leg.

(no pun intended)

V/R,
    nwlivewire

3. OP
    OP
    Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    No worries, I knew that. Just be careful which 'leg' you are pulling. It could have your eye out.

Further news....they have arrested one of the associates in Siaton. Expect more to tumble over the next few days.

C

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    HAHAHA

Glad to read there has been an arrest. Hope justice is waiting in the wings....

nwlivewire

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    .....in a decade or so. :wink:

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. OP
    OP
    Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    :banghead:
    And now to wrap this sorry tale up. The wife phones me this morning telling me that both the local bigwig and his accomplice have been seen riding their motos on the island. The Police have released them and there will be no charges. The upshot is the deceased were "business partners" who were to have shares in this 'treasure'...therefore they knew the risks etc. As they were not being paid a salary for mining there is no comeback. "Close shave" is the word up and down the baranguay - and the coast is now clear for them to return. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

C

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Sad but you can't fix stupid. As a foreigner you can only stand back, shut your mouth and shake your head at it. :popcorn:

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." - Derek Bok

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Canadianized

Canadianized DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +224 / 27
    Where is this hole? Let's start a team and pick up where this guy left off.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Ah yes, I know exactly where the gold is buried in Negros. take a bearing on the runnway from the airport going into the mountains. follow your GPS you will find a big hole and a road recently built, the treasure will be yours except you will never live to see it.

• Funny Funny x 2