Dumaguete Info Search

Review Zaks Place

Discussion in 'Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment' started by danbandanna, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    People try a business to make money but no-one should underestimate the amount of effort and risk that goes into it. So full respect to them.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. you_have_been_removed

you_have_been_removed THIS IS SPARTA!!!!

Ratings:
    +261 / 53
    if you do buy it here (and yes i have seen it here), you are buying the farmed salmon from china, if that chippy place was to use COD it would be a lot more expensive than the price quoted, the local potatoes are not up to much either for proper hand cut chips or a bit of mash

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The salmon you can buy in Belcris is farmed but from Norway and not China. For sure I will give Zaks Place a try, I'm also not into the cream dory, but marlin is great. I use mostly dorado for fish and chips

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    Hey there, don't knock catfish, nothing better than Meramac River catfish caught on a trot line (tributary to the Mississippi in Missouri), cooked over a campfire.

The second best catfish in the world was "Chu Chee Catfish" at long gone Thai restaurant in San Francisco, Thanya & Salee (rent went up to $10k USD a month in 2013)...

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. davewe

davewe DI Junior Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +59 / 7
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I'm a Zaks fan. The owner told me he had attempted to get cod or halibut but could not, or at least could not for a manageable price. I've had the fish and chips several times. The fish was always very good to my taste. The first time they did not have tartar sauce (which I love) but now they do. The sauce is not what I am used to but acceptable. The chips or fries have been made multiple ways in my three trips. First time was fantastic; the other two times closer to a standard french fry, but still not bad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Edward K

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    I prefer Fish & Chips with Malt Vinegar, at least on half the order. Our Malt Vinegar came from 10,000 km away. Anybody know where to get it closer on a regular basis, Zaks ????

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jeepni

Jeepni DI New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    If you are looking for malt vinegar, try Mike's Imported British Goods. Great service they ship by LBC cash on delivery. Orders normally received in Dauin within a couple of days.

https://mikesimportedbritishgoods.com/product/morrisons-malt-vinegar-568ml/

• Like Like x 1
  8. Edward K

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    Tried them a few years ago, everything was OUT OF STOCK, but will try again. Thanks for the reminder...

9. Jeepni

Jeepni DI New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Their website is usually up to date now, if you click on an item it will say if its available. Apparently they have nine bottles as of today, good luck!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Everytime I have gotten fish & chips at Naspri, the top is great but the bottom is a tasteless soggy mess. Much better at Spice for my taste. Quite a shame too, cuz I am just around the corner from Naspri