Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Voluntary work on a Tourist Visa.

1. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    It would seem reasonable to think that way. Logic does not always apply here.
    I just read a story where tons of relief goods for typhoon Yolanda are being disposed of because they have spoiled.
    It seems the donors did not pay the IMPORT TAXES on the relief goods so the BOC seized them.
    Go figure.
    Beam me up Scotty.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I doubt anyone here has heard of anyone being deported for such activities. The only people that get deported for these things are those that get active in politics...and it isn't hard to make that jump (Charity+Human Rights=Politics). You will almost certainly get away with it. If you are really that worried about it (and about doing the right thing) I would suggest you get the proper visa. If you can't afford, or don't have the motivation, to leave and get the proper visa then you are just going to have to risk it. I could not find a single instance online of a tourist getting busted for working with charities...but that doesn't mean you can't be the first they want to make an example out of if you unintentionally step on the wrong toes, which isn't hard to do in the Philippines.

Nobody here should suggest you do anything illegal (such as working on a tourist visa). Can you get away with it? Most likely, but that doesn't make it right. It is on you to evaluate the risk vs reward and if you want to do the right thing or not.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    https://www.google.com/search?q=volunteer+work+tourist

If you were to go to the park and rake the leaves, nobody is going to boot you out of the country. However, they might have a case that you are "undesirable" because you must have a screw loose.

To get busted for anything here, you have to either get caught up in a crackdown, p*ss off the wrong person or generally attract the wrong attention.

Jamrock Cafe usually has some sort of project in the works for kids in the region. They do school feeding events and small school improvement projects. Something like that would be a good way to dip your toes into someone which pools together resources and has someone actively working on organizing. Maybe go talk to the owner there.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    My story isn't much different then Brian. When I got out of the military I was in a dark place and ended up homeless. That experience changed me totally on how I viewed charities and those seeking help. While I was down and out struggling to get back on my feet I saw hundreds down and out like myself every day but the difference is almost none of them cared to help themselves even when a golden opportunity came along. Instead they preferred to beg for a few bucks for alcohol, tobacco, and drugs. I even tried offering a sandwich (my 6" subway sandwich actually) to one and had it thrown back at me because he only wanted money for his fix. I've seen others who begged near burger king and were given food they just went down the street to try and sell rather then eat. This also gave me a stronger look into many of the charities I used to think highly of and got me to start researching more and what I found is most of them weren't about helping but about profit while doing the bare minimum of *help* which really just kept the cycle going by giving handouts instead of teaching. I'll also add I sought help from welfare and numerous charities and was told each and everytime including from the welfare office *Your a young white male, their is nothing we can really do for you* which is specifically what the welfare office told me. Apparently to get assistance when your down and out in the US you need to be female or a minority preferably both.

The US had a program during the 1970's-1980's that was teaching dry farming techniques to African would be farmers and farmers. After the program ran for 15 years or so it was scrapped because the farmers had made no progress. Equipment they were given was pawned off for a quick meal and the farmers didn't keep up their work to produce anything real. The program when ended was replaced with another program that instead simply sent medical supplies, food, and some other item aid. That program after a few years was changed as well as those receiving were crying about it and how they could spend the money better to cover far more people. The change was to just give them cash to the government of the African country (forget which, Nigeria possibly). In the late 90's it was revealed the government had bought 18 brand new fully decked out luxury cars for officials and the money looked like it came from that fund.

Remember that Christian Children's Fund commercial where you could feed a child for the day for the cost of a cup of coffee? They were rated as one of the top 10 worldwide charities. It was later uncovered that less then 15 cents of every dollar reached the children and the rest went into paying salaries and advertising for more money among other expenses.

In the end you have to just accept some people are a lost cause and cut them off as the humane thing to help break the cycle. If that means throwing one person or family under the bus to do so then so be it if it breaks the cycle and keeps 100 others out of it. Often as well you have to let someone hit true rock bottom before any offer of assistance to climb up may be received properly and most today in western countries have never come close to real rock bottom even the homeless.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Volunteer tourist is unprofessional people who someone makes a profit on when they send them to "help" poor people. It's mostly young people just finish college who want to do something good in life, their intentions are good, the people who are behind this volunteer trips intentions is making money on poor people, disgusting.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Why do you want to join an organization? You want to socialize or do you have other reason for that? You can easily help around, many will be grateful to receive your help. We all have our own opinion on how to do it if we want to help. I let my gf take care of that part and not very often its money, instead, we give food, coffee, clothes and sometimes for medical needs or a spare part for a fishing boat. I don't give much, can't even feel it on my budget and we get so much in return from the locals, I believe it's not only because we support a little, but also show respect and interest in the people who live around you can be very rewarding

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Never heard of anyone specifically getting busted for it but you had better stay away from any organizations that have even the slightest hint of a political agenda. I wouldn't even attend a charity event that had a politician in the crowd. Same goes for religion, since in the Philippines the church is extremely active in pushing their crap into politics.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. saltygunny

saltygunny DI New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Check the you tube of "A foreigner in the Philippines". he is on the verge of being deported for helping people building bamboo houses, food, medicine and getting donations from his subscriber to do that. he is. married but has still not change his visa . he has been married for about 4 years. but check his you tube channel and you can see the results of helping people with out the proper paper work being done....

• Informative Informative x 4
  9. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    There are many stories of "help" both public and private that have uplifted those who were unable to lift themselves into productive and taxpaying citizens.... Just let us remember that when we are inundated with stories of welfare cheats and rich beggars... Just sayin...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Thank you for sharing the video. On a similar topic, Many years ago my wife knew a domestic helper in Manila who was being assisted by “Feed the Children” which actually did spend money on kids and also purchased school supplies. She joined the program and her kids were taken care of and she was able to quit her job. You may remember the heart rendering pictures of the kids in the squatter areas, in the TV ads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3