Dumaguete Info Search

Other Best Posts in Thread: Stray dogs in Dumaguete

1. Outcast

Outcast DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +335 / 128
    For teh most part the strays here are not aggressive, they are scared shitless. those that act like they might be aggressive are often beaten to death with sticks, whether they actually ever atacked anhyone or not. just bend over and act like you are picking up a stone and most will hightail it. yes, they are a problem. yes, the problem is caused by humans. no, poisoning is not the answer.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    As I see it, the problem with stray dogs here is created by human beings, I know many don't agree with me, but I see these dogs as innocent. If a dog is aggressive or has rabies it needs to be killed immediately but in a human way, not with poison where it suffers a painful death. My gf is an animal lover, and I'm afraid to say it, but she feeds the street dogs, at the same time all of them are neutered, most of them for free and I paid for some of them. She gets neighbors to castrate their dogs to. I give up when it comes to the point where you must learn the locals keep your dogs inside your property and that not in a short line where the dog is barking 24/7. It's have been like that, for I don't know how long time. In my opinion, enforce the laws and start giving fines will help on the problem, just see on the long line in LTO and smoke test centers after the traffic laws are enforced or at least there are regular checkpoints. The only time my dog been attacked is by dogs with owners who let their dogs roam around free, I'm not afraid of dogs, I trained dogs most of my life but I'm not immune to dog attacks lol, the most dog is afraid of a stick and is that not enough tear gas would clear the problem it's legal and cheap. I see also people have stupid behavior to street dogs, first if you ignore the dogs most of them also ignore you. There was a foreigner who passes by where I live, he has his pockets full of stones and start throwing the stones after the dogs from a distance, haven't seen him after I told him to leave the dogs alone or f**k of, I forget the street dogs get rabies shot same time my gf get them neutred

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Kilam63

Kilam63 DI Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Air Force

Retired
    Ratings:
    +135 / 3
    Blood Type:
    A+
    It is not only the strays but the owners who let their dogs run wild even though there is a law which prohibits dog owners from allowing them to do this (RA8485 THE ANIMAL WELFARE ACT). While walking our dog I carry a rattan stick to drive roaming dogs away. On more than one instance other dogs tried to attack our dog so it is probably not a good idea to walk your dog without some sort of protection.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    As mentioned in the previous thread the dogs over the road from me were poisoned some months back. The woman who owned them recently bought two new puppies and now has them in the from yard in a 1mx1m square cage with tin roof,the screech all day for food and water. She should be locked in the same cage.
    As for rabies there is a free injection if wanted every year and free castration but locals are just too lazy and dont care.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    @Liverpool fan: People who see the good in other people are themselves good people and those who see the good in (and care for) other animals are VERY special people.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Liverpool fan

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I guess stray dogs in Russia and the Philippines have different behavior, my experience with stray dogs in the Philippines, they bark but 99% of them do not attack, they are scared of human beings, many Filipinos through stones after them, they are in a bad conditions (weak with no power/starving) scared and not use to friendly people in general. Strays carry diseases (no vaccination) and are dangerous in the traffic and sorry to say it will be hard to find an area without stray dogs and dogs with owner witch roam around free, some areas are worse than others. It's easy to let the anger go beyond the dogs, it's because people don't understand it's human beings who create the problem, ooohhh yeah some foreigner say, not me who create the problem, yes your right sir, go home if you don't understand the problems of the third world or don't want to contribute to a solution on them, my 2 cents

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Liverpool fan

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    99% the stray dogs will bark at you from distance and don't come close to you, the problem can be dogs with an owner, some of them are more confident, get food and are used to human beings, some owners award there dog when it reacts aggressively because they want a guard dog, it's okay as long they keep their dog inside their property and warn people with a sign, private property, take care of the dog. The problem is some owners let that kind of dog roam around free, but let me say that's is not very often I have met that kind of dog here, never felt afraid with strays, you can see they are scared of you. Wish you the best and understand your worries about your dogs, about what area is the best to live in, I will suggest you find a temporary place first, have the feet on the ground and see with your own eyes how it looks, talk to other foreigners best way to find a good place to live

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090

In short "no" but have your dog on a short leash and give a loud "PSTTTTT" to any dogs you see freely roaming and giving you and yours too much attention as in close approach proximity.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Just bring a stick and be ready to act like you're picking up a stone in case they want to go near your dog.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sergei

Sergei DI New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    You totally right that stray dogs in Russia and the Philippines have different behavior. If you meet stray dogs in Russia, you will be attacked with a very high probability.
    Because of this, I afraid of stray dogs.
    Maybe you're right and I'm afraid in vain.

• Agree Agree x 2