Dumaguete Info Search

A day in the Philippines - part one

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by babel-fish, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shiba

shiba DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

You've hit the bull's eye, Teacher. Very well put. I'm impressed!

But what does he care? He has gotten varied reactions already (juvenile or otherwise) yet the more he seems to enjoy it. I think he is living his fantasy :wink: so it's just useless persuasion :(

And oh, he gets good publicity for his book, too...

2. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    The claim of being an author, intellectual, free-thinker and citizen of the world rings hollow when backed only by a prolificacy of writing. Especially when that writing is composed so poorly. Lord knows I'm constantly challenged by my weak authoring skills so I usually don't comment on the mistakes of others. This case, I feel, is different. This forum is composed, mostly, of people who use English as a second language and I'm grateful to those that do use English so I can join the conversation. For someone who is British and uses English as a primary language to convert it into something more closely resembling regurgitation rather than expression then claim it meritorious and even virtuous is frustrating.
    Babel would do himself a favor by focusing on quality rather than quantity.
    A lengthy collection of words does not a book make.

3. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,855 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
  4. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Hey Jim. As we are both residents of two nations with huge, bloated governments certainly you can appreciate the Vogons.
    I'm trying to come up with a more appropriate simile for Bob; perhaps President Beeblebrox without any power.

5. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Wow. We need to be carefull, I realise now.
    Watch out .....he wants to get our brains to become wiser :D :wink:
    But at the other hand .......he needs some, so let him :D :D

Wikipedia says:
    The Babel fish is small, yellow and leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy received not from its own carrier but from those around it. It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. It then excretes into the mind of its carrier a telepathic matrix, formed by combining the conscious thought frequencies with nerve signals picked up from the speech centres of the brain which has supplied them. The practical upshot of all this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear, you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language.

6. pecoskid45

pecoskid45 DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I for one agree 100% with everything Mr. Babel wrote. He was spot on, and
    humorus about it. If you youngsters don't agree with what someone writes,
    THEN DON'T READ IT. It really is just that simple. I called him out on something he wrote and he answered me in a very civil manner. I couldn't dispute his answer, so we let it ride. Think about this, if you shot everyone
    you disagreed with, or everyone who offended you, wouldn't it be a very small
    world? What is the purpose of a forum if not to express opinions and ideas.
    You don't have to agree with them, but you have no right to censure them.

If any of you can answer this, then I'll go away. Why is it that Filipinos will
    stand in the middle of the aisle, in a doorway, in the middle of the stairs blocking traffic, shuffle down the sidewalk blocking traffic, but the second they get on something with wheels, they have to go live a bat out of hell,
    when 99.9% of them have absolutely no where to go.

7. gotz

gotz DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Would you care to be specific? Which Aisle,Which doorway,which stair?

Surely,Its just a small place with so many people. Just like in big cities around the world.

8. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Why are you in such a hurry?

It's fun.

9. pecoskid45

pecoskid45 DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    "It's fun"
    Since I've been here I've cliped two motorbikes that were trying to pass as I
    was making a left turn. They just couldn't be troubled to wait. I didn't notice
    them laughing as they were hauled off the the Provincial Hospital.

10. Teacher

Teacher DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Alert !!!

I have just been informed that there is a New Troll in town. quick we need to get the pitch forks and torchs. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.