Dumaguete Info Search

A stroll from Dumaguete to Sibulan and back

Discussion in '☋ Photo Board ☋' started by Rev. Robinson, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Hi Rev,

Thank you, as always for the great photography. I think you should consider cataloging all your photos and possibly making a book. There is very little doubt that you have marketable photos, and with some narative work, you could probably find a publisher. Out of curiosity, when you say you stopped and talk to some folks, do you talk to them in english or one of the filipino dialects?

2. OP
    OP
    Rev. Robinson

Rev. Robinson DI Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Hi Tom, unfortunately I have little command of any of the many Phillipine Dialects here in the country, so I speak English. Normally there is someone around who can speak English and relish the opportunity to brush up on their skills with a foreigner. This makes for a delightful encounter by all and can be quite funny.:smile: As far as a book? This has cross my mind a few times, but so far I am not ruling anything out.:smile:

3. xm65

xm65 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great pics..

4. caymimi

caymimi DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Yes I'm definitely curious about the camera you're using. I'm interested in buying a Canon DSLR, but it costs more than a thousand dollars so I'm gonna have to put that on my wishlist for Christmas. :smile:

5. tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Your a good man my friend. Thanks again for sharing.

6. OP
    OP
    Rev. Robinson

Rev. Robinson DI Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    A camera is a camera is a camera is a camera. There are many cameras out there with different bells and whistles on them that makes them sounds like they can do it all for you and make that magical picture happen. But the magic is in your eye and what story you want to convey. So in that aspect, a camera is just another camera.

I have been shooting professionally for over twenty years. I have taught Basic Photographer for Central Texas College, and have owned my own photo studio that caters to new entertainers needing portfolios. I have also managed a photo studio for one of the top portrait photography studio in the US, Olan Mills. Shooting the perfect shot is sometimes all about luck, but it’s also is about knowing your camera, being aware of the light that is on your subject, controlling the depth of field, shuttle speed and in using the right film and film speed.

Out of habit, I normally take two cameras with me when I am out on assignment, (it is always good to have a back up), plenty of film and batteries (it really bites, when you have that perfect shot, and you are out of film or your battery ran out on you). But if I am just out shooting for fun, one camera is all I take with me. The pictures on this forum were shot with an Olympus E-20N and a Canon Power Shot A80. Most of people shots are done with the Olympus and most of my travel shots are done with the Canon. But I have shot both scenic and people with both cameras. They both have wide angle and zoom lens which is a must, manual and auto control over the shuttle and depth of field and each camera has a built in flash. They are both digital cameras and come with a lot of bells and whistles that normally I set once and forget about it.

I hope this information helps some but remember the magic in each picture is in your eye and what story you are trying to tell.:wink:

7. caymimi

caymimi DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Thanks for the wonderful tips, Rev. Robinson! You could open your own studio in Dumaguete, or perhaps teach short courses at AMA or Silliman - I'm sure which ever you chose would be an instant success. Thanks so much for sharing some of your wisdom with us. I'm a total dunce when it comes to photography, but I'm trying to learn because I love using Adobe Photoshop and you're right that the magic in each picture is in what you perceive and how you try to convey it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.