Dumaguete Info Search

About those towns??

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by garbonzo, Mar 16, 2007.

1. wretched_hyena

wretched_hyena DI Member

Artist
    Ratings:
    +6 / 7
    It's a characteristic of the younger generations that they feel the need to be entertained. For me, between my own projects, creating art, writing, reading, learning and researching, I find it little problem to once in a while take a trip as far as Valencia to Dumaguete for a little excursion. Now, if you feel the need to be entertained every night (it is nights we're really talking about isn't it?) perhaps you shouldn't live in a place like Valencia. And that might be good for the residents there, because (no offense meant) they might be there largely to avoid people like you anyway. If you see those people as fuddy duddies, go where the party people are. As for me, I think party people are rather dull and boring.

2. ViperACR

ViperACR DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I love making conversation Phil :smile: but..there are those who would insert things into what I say that were never there. If they were there, I would have said them-trust me.

Party? Odd how people keep putting words into my mouth, that I've never said... Partying has never been the highlight of my day, sorry. I've known professional Filipinos in Cebu who lament that they roll up the sidewalks in Dgte at dusk. (meaning nothing's open or happening)

I am/have been an artist btw doing stone sculptures, pianist, scuba diver, into high performance automobiles and motorcycles,and anything interesting that comes along.

Which is precisely the problem. I lived in Dgte itself for 2 yrs, and there just ain't anything going on. Either by desire, or option. I don't know which. But it is what it is. Thousands of people live out their life there in bliss, and that's fine.

Ask for something out of the 'ordinary', and you'll get laughter from the store owners instead of 'let me see if I can get it for you'. At Lee Plaza, at hardware stores, and on and on.

Fuddy duddies is a term I've never said.. and I am hardly with the younger generation-just a handful of years from SS (SSS in PI) in the USA actually.

While living there, I realized that it wasn't what there was to actually do in Dgte that was the problem, but more what few options there were, and what'd been left behind. At least having some options is better than having none.

False pride doesn't change the facts. Nor will false accusations or insinuations. My wife's from way out in the provinces in Negros, but Valencia doesn't hold any appeal for her either.

The closest town to me (4 miles) here in the US has maybe 5 viable businesses on Main st. Very small. As cute as it is, or might be perceived to be from a distance, it just might drive some people stir crazy.

Spirited conversations are well received, but you'll just lose any importance to your replies may have by making false accusations.

I've lived in Dgte, and been to Valencia and know what's up.

Saying good medical care might be far away in any place in the world, is a generalization that does does not make those who don't know better aware of the ramifications of certain choices. Most of whom are up in age.

Living in PI isn't the same as living in the UK or US in those regards. Foreigners should not assume it is. Yapping about it on a forum doesn't ease the dilemma when it's YOU bouncing along in the back of an ez ride hustling off to Dgte for a medical emergency.

I've probably commented for the last time on this thread. What's important has already been said.

Peace, ug bendisyunan ka sa Ginoo

3. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    "Yapping about it on a forum doesn't ease the dilemma when it's YOU bouncing along in the back of an ez ride hustling off to Dgte for a medical emergency." what ????
    You consider valencia some remote outlying village - like its a full hour trek up into the bondoks - its only 5 km or so from downtown duma! its closer than dauin or san jose... what does that make liloan village? (where I will retire)...a medical emergency means a special trip on the pumpboat to sibulan and an ez ride to silliman MC ...maybe i could get an apartment across the street from the hospital - just in case- but i like it in liloan just fine - our nightlife is a few 5 peso karaoke machines that all close at 10 .
    dumaguete has live music and a disco open until late - well after the last car ferry back to cebu - Its only 15 min home if you live in valencia - if you own a vehicle its a shorter trip to the hospital than most americans have living in the US - give me a break

4. ViperACR

ViperACR DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Americans have trained paramedics on the way to the hospital. In PI there are few ambulances staffed with people who can get you thru until you're at a hospital. At least once you're outside of Manila, and Cebu.

I don't think there are any in Dgte, certainly not outside of town waiting for an emergency call.

I'm not saying my views are absolute, but newcomers should be aware of certain realities in PI.

Here's the truck I used to drive around Dgte and in Valencia

[​IMG]

5. wretched_hyena

wretched_hyena DI Member

Artist
    Ratings:
    +6 / 7
    ViperACR, I was the one who defended you before when you were attacked, so please don't get the idea that I'm insinuating or putting words in your mouth. I never said that you were a party person nor did I say YOU were of the younger generation. I was simply discussing something in generalities. You should relax and have a conversation instead of an arguement.

6. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12

For goodness sake this is the Philippines ! Too far out to compare medical services between the US and the Philippines . People travelling to this country should have already known those underlying differences and don't expect like all the same as in America.People who are strongly opinionated like you and so bothered about those things that barely come up to your accepted standard should remain in your land of milk and honey .

Sorry if i have said this ,to people that might feel too sensitive and think I am so abrupt .But being filipino myself ,it's a lot being said about sad known facts of the Philippines.It's like visitors telling us our ills straight to our faces .Who would not be carried away?

7. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I think the medical care in dumaguete is better than in most of asia - certainly better than korea IMO - if you live in alaska (outside anchorage) or rural montana or you are poor with no insurance you are worse off than in dumaguete at silliman -
    and how about walter reed's treatment of disabled vets?
    I was treated well at silliman m c and didnt have to wait hours in the ER like i would in Florida - or pay 50 times as much money for treatment
    ...and cebu doctors hospital is not that far away if the emergency is not immediate