Dumaguete Info Search

Air Pollution

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by Chuck the Canuck, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Although I agree with the annoying air pollution around Dumaguete,but in reality all cities have air pollution, though in different degrees and other problems.People talking about dumaguete,but actually living in the rural outskirts of the city. 20 minutes and on outside Dgte it will be rural villages and little towns.I don't think pollution out there is rated too bad .Unlike Cebu you have to drive few hours to get a fresh air.Negros has only one road artery circling around the island couple of cut throughs like the translink San Carlos- Murcia and Mabinay-Kabankalan routes. It gets busier when it reaches little towns or small cities where few networks of internal roads exist.Negros isn't mainly industrialized, air pollution is minimal ,unless you hit dumaguete city center, but who likes to live central to the city ,unless the transients /travellers.Who likes to live fronting the boulevard ? Myself ,no way.When our time comes,hopefully we will be on a rural beach 1 hour from dumaguete and up there in hills of Valencia overlooking dumaguete,or what they call metro Dumaguete.So rural out there,though i can't vouch for this word if it would still be rural in 10 -20 yrs time though considering the same pace of development of this city.I just hope ,no hard business establishments will climb up there developing noisy parks ,bars or subdivisions.

2. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    maybe not wrong

Maybe it's NOT wrong Rhoody, because Chuck wants to drink or eat (he calls it "hung out at Mama Mia") so he can rest and can save quite some air from his tank-air at the times he is taking out his regulator for drinking or eating.
    If he's a tough drinker/eater he wont have the chance to breath between the consumptions :D .
    But then again he will instead 'consume' the clean air of the tricycles/jeepneys/busses/motorbikes/cars and sometimes massy generators :mad:
    But it's true..... we will die yonger (?) living here. (that's a strange phrase, is'nt it ?)

3. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    ok Jelly you got me on that... now, what I really expierienced since 27 december last year since I am on my "The Dane-Visit-Trip", I wake up each day with a kind of headache at lunchtime. The good thing that now I blame the air pollution and not the amount of SMB The Dane fills into my throat....

cheers

Rhoody

PS: Jelly, only the good die young, so our changes to live forever are huge, even with air, water and SMB pollution. As RHB will join us, we can play at least a bit music... Jambolaia forever

4. pickled_newt

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    I was thinking a funeral parlour might be a good business in Duma .:wink:

5. pickled_newt

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Part of metro Dumaguete with less air pollution.

Here are few pictures of our little piece of dumaguete (metro dumaguete) with clean air ,where view of the Cuernos seem close by. Left to go wild for the last 3 yrs but we cleared this up now.I don't think Valencia area has air pollution problems.

Attached Files:

6. tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Thanks for sharing the pics newt. I was hoping the air was much cleaner up in Valencia. I am guessing when people get out of Dumaguete that the pollution factor shrinks, or at least I hope it does.

7. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    TFA, when leaving Dumaguete for only 5 km's the air is a lot cleaner, I can tell you. If I'm heading south to my place near Zamboanguita I can open my car-windows when I have passed Bacong. The tricycles don't go further south from Dumaguete City (except a very few).
    The bad boys then are still some "recently LTO inspected jeepneys and busses" with smoke markers at their tales :o
    Valencia ?? a refresshing area.
    No busses , no jeepneys (as far as my knowledge goes, because I haven't ever seen one there, but I'm not there every day :cool: )

8. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    North of Sibulan and South of Bacong are the places to go when you look for better air. I just moved to Dumaguete in November to a Barangay a bit towards the mountains and can breath in my garden without a problem.
    As I was "on the road" the last 12 days I can tell you that I am happy to be back in Dumaguete. I hit some other Cities in the PI and the problem is the same everywhere.

Rhoody

9. pickled_newt

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Youre welcome tfa1957 , those pics are only an example how rural it can be some minutes from Dgte at this time. I agree with rhoody and jelly saying 5 kms from the main business center of dumaguete air pollution goes down and if you go outside the main road networks air is cleaner.Even within the bounderies of Dumaguete , you don’t choke with smoke .I am not talking here of Bacong , Valencia or Sibulan areas . If the property has trees ,they helped absorb air pollutants and improve air quality,more so when you go further to the metro areas (Bacong ,Sibulan,Valencia).

Another picture view of Dumaguete from upper Valencia .From this angle it’s small compact city. Dumaguete is the coastal area dotted with white,that’s where the concentration of polluted air is ,like Perdices st , the Boulevard ,the market area and around.

Promoting local awareness and of the importance of trees and planting them around would help improve the air in there.I’d like to mention when as a student there ,me and my two friends rented this house with a garden to ourselves,no curfew,no matron .This house owned by a Filipino American but had a care taker ,a relative based in Zamboangita.The garden got about 3 big matured trees standing and a green Bermuda lawn and some ornamental shrubs on the edges.We liked having those trees because during months when the weather was dry and hot those trees were cooling the area and gave shade.We even brought mats and cushions outside the lawn and laze there sometimes, or where we do some of our assignments ,there was even a hammock tied between the trees .But one day the care taker who was a ‘grumpy old man’ who popped in every month brought his bolo and chopped all the trees for no reason , we were so pissed of but couldn't expressed it ,myself in a flash of a second liked strangling him,ofcourse you can't do that ,but only an expression of something seriously done against your interests . It was not even his property, he was not even living there ,he was only a care taker though a relative ,or perhaps the owner based in the US said so.He didn’t asked our second opinion incase we can changed him. This just show how some odd local people like him (have relatives also with same minds ) share the same stupid view , so dry of ideas and no respect of trees .

Attached Files:

10. pickled_newt

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    This area too has no polluted air ,a land and peebled beach place an hour from dear ol' Duma :wink: as inheritance, didn't spend a penny to have this ,though i might face some questions about sea walls now being quiet to comment in the seawall thread.:wink:But there's clean air in this area and more trees planted for the future.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.