Dumaguete Info Search

Airport Taxi

Discussion in 'Tourist Information' started by sntmig, Oct 11, 2015.

1. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I guess I am simply too much of newbie to the Philippines, but I have to giggle when I see folks getting upset over P400 for a ride from the airport to Dauin. Airport transportation everywhere is a premium service because it's a captive audience....fact of life....get over it!

In NYC it costs me (with time-of-day extras) about the equivalent of P160 just to get in a cab and go 300 meters. Then the meter ticks off another P15 every 300 meters. In effect, here one pays P400 before the cab gets off the airport property. And New York is far from the most expensive airport transportation I have seen around the world.

Sure the Sibulan Airport is very near to the downtown area, but I am certain that the airport authority (like airport authorities everywhere) charge the taxis, vans and tricycles a premium to operate on the premises and the geographical proximity is irrelevant.

2. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    NYC and Dumaguete are very different. Some Pensioners here are on a budget. If you can get a taxi from the airport to Dauin for 400 pesos let me know how you did it. I get quoted 1,200 pesos.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    and the #1 option to fix the expense issue is the same here as anywhere else. A few minute hike off airport property and go from there. Last time in Manila I was getting quoted p900 for a taxi which dropped to p650 as I never broke stride to talk to him. 2 minutes later I was crossing the street to McDonalds (at terminal 3) and hailed a cab, paid the meter price of p136

• Like Like x 2
  4. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Well, maybe I misread but it wasn't me who needed to go to Dauin. And yes, New York and Dumaguete are very different in many respects, but there are plenty of people on pensions in New York, too. And a budget is a budget anywhere. If one's budget cannot tolerate airport transportation fares, one needs to adjust the budget (or the plans) no matter where one lives.

5. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    If you refer to tricycles I have done this many times. It is interesting to add that as soon as we walk out of the terminal we get offered a tricycle for 150 pesos (and we only have a 5 minute ride to get home). Then we walk a few steps and a different tricycle will offer 100 pesos. Then a few steps more and we are offered 60 or 70 peso. We keep walking and the last guy in line offers 50 pesos, which what the guys on the street would ask for due to wanting a private tricycle and carrying luggage. (It would only be 10 pesos each for shared with no luggage).

My lady asked one of the tricycle drivers and he says it takes a long time for the guy at the front of the line to get to the front and he ain't giving up that position for only 50 pesos but the guy at the back of the line just got there and doesn't want to hang around all day when he can make a quick 50

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I think the point is that it is not wise to compare prices from a major US metropolitan city to a smaller provincial town in the Philippines. A rum and coke in NYC will cost you at least $10, saying that $5 would be a fair price in Dumaguete just because it is the half price of the NYC price is not good logic.

I personally don't think that P400 is all that bad of a price for an air-conditioned taxi from the DGT airport to Dauin given the convenience and comfort the service is offering....but I'm not making that opinion based off of prices elsewhere in the world, or even other cities in the Philippines. I'm taking into consideration the complete lack of competition, the going rate for labor, how long it will take and the fact that the taxi will almost certainly not get a customer for a return ride.

If you continue to compare prices of Dumaguete to major cities in the US it might seem as if you are saving money but most likely you are still getting ripped off locally....and to top it off you are making it harder for people who have been here for a long time to get a fair price and encouraging the locals to continue with their racist pricing schemes. :wink:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1