Dumaguete Info Search

Al Capone's Pizzeria

Discussion in '☋ Apo - Siquijor - Bohol ☋' started by Paul, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. West Coast Hokies

West Coast Hokies DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    And your point is...? What does this have to do with Al Capone's Pizza?

Unfortunately, past goodwills don't help in paying bills. So, if your not getting paid for your job, people are going to complain...quickly. That's what it is...This will happen anywhere. It has nothing to do with their cultural background. I'm not sure why your picking on the Filipinos other than to vent. And, you may want to tell Bob that not renting out apartments to Filipinos is discrimiantion and illegal.

2. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    Wouldnt that actually be reverse discrimination?

3. OP
    OP
    Paul

Paul DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +57 / 12
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    West Coast, It has everything to do with the Filipino culture. You can't have Filipino employees and be easy on them. You must be firm, and you must keep your relationship business only. To be overly kind is weakness, in their eyes. This isn't a negative view of Filipinos. I am only pointing out something regarding the way they see things, according to their culture. I know and love Filipinos very much. They have many differences in their culture, from westerners.

Oh, there are always ways for anyone to not deal with any given race here. I have known about Korean restaurants who were specific about who they didn't want eating in their establishments. Of course, many people know how I personally feel about Koreans, so I won't go there.

4. chantal

chantal DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My friend from Siquijor wrote :

After reading some posts of Mr Paul on Living In Cebu City & Cebu Province
    regarding Al Capones Pizza,
    I decided to visit this amazing Pizza shop in Siquijor.
    Mr Paul described it as the best in the Philippines......
    Wow how lucky we are thought me, having the best Pizza shop in the country on this tiny Island of Siquijor....

Well to my surprise after arriving, the shop was more like a Filipino sari sari store which was inhabited by several loud mouthy drunken expats with their tattooed bar girls....Be this as it may I was here for the pizza, not the company.

After a period of 45 minutes... give or take a few minutes the delightful goodies arrived..... This was a welcome event as listening to local foreign drunks at lunch time was getting painful. Well my reaction to that long awaited first mouth watering bite......
    Yes the pizza was good, thin crust and crispy, far better than the company and surroundings....
    Best pizza in the Philippines, give me a break, get real Mr Paul, not any where near it, god only knows where Mr Paul usually eats how ever I would advise any culinary inspired people not to heed his advise on this subject.

Some weeks later being again in Siquijor town I return.....as said the Pizza was good. Too good to be true...sadly yes. Ordered the same, also same drunken company, the pizza was terrible, service had deteriated into nothing... No tissues, no codiments, no hellos, just a lousy bad tasting pizza...
    How can this happen in a few weeks ?
    Well folks, thats the Philippines !
    Will I return again ? ........... definately not

5. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    :rolleyes:
    Ah, is that so, then? So, freedom of choice (as to who you rent apartment to) is now out of the window, eh? As long as he doesn't openly advertise for example:- "For Rent- white folks only", I don't see how he can be in trouble.
    As the old saying goes, "when in Rome.........", I've seen numerous examples of racial and "economic" discrimination against non-filipinos over the years, here in town.
    When it comes down to it, basic human rights presumes having basic human responsibilities, (eg the 3 R's, respect for self, respect for others and responsibilities for your own actions), sometimes this is sadly lacking on the part of inhabitants either side of the cultural and racial fence.

Anyway, I'm off to try that great looking pizza, when I get home.:D

6. Scubaholly

Scubaholly DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ...it's really not easy to establish a Pizzeria, a Resort or Restaurant with minimum international Standards here on Siquijor. I know from what I'm speaking: my philippina wife and I suffer on the lack of education and disciplin from our Staff here since almost 4 years. If we are not around in our business it goes down immediately; hard to say but we have made so many experiences already.

Myself have eaten 3x Pizza from Al Capone; it was really good and the service was OK. They are now operating for almost 2 month; this is exact the time a Siquijodnon becomes weak in his job. We had to fire (or they quited by themself) after this 2-3 month period about 60 staff members in only 3 years of operating.

I guess, the same problems occur now in Al Capone. The owner can not be there always and that's the time, they take advantage and become lazy. One of our Dumaguete expat guests told me yesterday, that they were looking after the Pizza in the oven every minute by opening it. No wonder, that the crusty Pizza became like rubber... And they were not using the real "expensive" gas oven; they were using a "cheap" electric oven... By the way: 1kw/h costs over 80 Pesos here on Siquijor while a gas tank (Petronas) comes on 600 Pesos...

I hope the ownwer can change the Staff and start again with good food. For the case of foreign customers we all are sometimes helpless and can not send them out; we are not in Dumaguete and need really every guest. If a group like the mentioned bothers my company too often for sure I will interfere!

Tropical greetings from Larena on Siquijor Island, the most mystic Island of the 7.107 philippine Islands! Scubaholly

7. barramac

barramac DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    wow someone not paying staff for 6 weeks, when they have property to get loans on. Bob is either leveraged way over his head in risk or a complete prick. either way his staff were right, no staff in the service industry here can have savings

8. chris

chris DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Try the pizza at the 'breakpoint' restro up the hill in Larena.

Good food, nice place.

As to loyalty..., stiff your employees 6 weeks?
    Where was HIS loyalty to HIS staff?

And we are talking phil wages --100p a day.

What were the staff suppose to live on..., their visa cards?

WTF?

chris

9. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    Well folks, thats the Philippines !
    Will I return again ? ........... definately not[/QUOTE]

Im sure you'll be missed:p

10. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.