Dumaguete Info Search

Aliens given 60 days to fix their visa. Bi

Discussion in 'Tourist Information' started by DavyL200, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    People like this are why countries like Thailand are requiring foreigners prove they have enough money to live long term and follow all the immigration laws. They really don't bring much to the country and their inability/unwillingness to follow immigration law makes the rest of us look bad. I think eventually the Philippines will follow suit and reduce tourist visa extensions and/or force long term tourists/immigrants prove they have the financial means to obey the law and live without becoming a burden to the country (I think the same should apply to every immigrant in every country in most circumstances). P

I think it is a great idea (though I'm not too keen on it if they require it be in a Philippines bank since the PDIC wouldn't cover the amount they would likely be looking to see). It would get rid of the trash and low life that bring absolutely nothing to the Philippines.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    I think PDIC would cover $10,000.00 US which is probably OK if you also have a verifiable pension or annuity of $1k or more. In many ways, expats greatly enhance the Philippines economy though I don’t have exact figures. But, yeah if somebody is going to stay here for a long time, the country has a right to demand some collateral to cover expenses if something goes wrong, refundable when you leave; it just wouldn’t be moral for a citizen of a rich nation to leave a 3rd world country on the hook for expenses if a financial problem some sort later occurred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I believe currently the minimum balance for 35-50 years of age on a retirement visa is $50k. If a bank goes t*ts up you are out $40k. They can't even insure the current required amount. Their banking system is a joke for the well off and 10k USD is a laughable amount to insure. That's not even a monthly paycheck for an upper middle class Westerner/family. I understand and agree that they should force expats to have to prove they are financially competent...but a financially competent expat wouldn't put any money in a bank without insurance. Btw, PDIC is P500k, not even 10k USD.

The retirement visa isn't for me anyways. I would go investment visa if I were to go the permanent resident visa route.

4. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    I can understand wanting a person so show some financial stability, but in the Philippines? I'm curious what happens to a foreigner if they become destitute. In not like there is a safety net like in the US that would cost the Philippines. The only thing I can see is, if they die, they have to do something with the body.

5. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Well, they break the law by not renewing their visas and can rack up bills and debt to individuals and businesses that didn't know their financial situation (no credit checks for foreigners). These types also tend to be mentally ill and break all kinds of other laws along the way.

6. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    People with money tend to spend more money, so it makes a lot of sense for that perspective.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Yeah, but that would get themselves into another predicament: if they could ever attract upper class expats and tourists that spent more money that would give expats and tourists far more say in how things should be done and ran in the country (if they want to keep that money rolling in) and they would have to suck up a lot of that Filipino pride and knock off that "this is how we do things here" nonsense.

However, I think the real point of any such requirement, given the current administration, would be isolationism from the international community and to reduce internal influence from foreign dollars, not to actually get rid of the trash and bring in a higher quality of tourist/expat.

8. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    I have the SRRV but I married a balikbayan filipina who did not want to go the dual citizenship route. Under those circumstances we just had to deposit $1500.00 plus $1800.00 one time application fee, $10.00 annual renewal fee and no pension verification. That is the courtesy SRRV. If you are in the military (probably not) or are perhaps in some sort of diplomatic service, you would also be in the “courtesy” category. But for the young, single people they demand the $50k deposit which I would never do because I think they want it all in one account thus a high risk of possible $40 loss as you say. I know one PRA approved bank that went bankrupt a few years ago; the immediate concern was that it was not clear if SRRV holders would get kicked out of the country unless they replenished their deposits with their. I THINK they were allowed to stay (not sure) but I think they lost any deposits over $10k and I think they still had to rrpleothe balance in a reasonable time. Obviously there should have been immediate reassurance that they would not have to leave but you know how it goes, rules are rules ). I think it was Export Bank (?). Most of them had $20k on deposit. You can do a $10k deposit if over 50 and have a permanent annuity or pension but I agree with you and actually I just use my American bank since it is fine to simply withdraw here as needed, either by bank transfers or ATM withdrawals; pretty good exchange rates. We would consider $50k per month as upper 10% so it is not usual. Perhaps a group VP or group Director level at a company like IBM. A doctor might be higher than 50k but about 50k after paying his malpractice premium. A senior level engineer might be $20k per month but I digress lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You just have to be prior service (which I am). Time in service does not matter as long as you have an honorable discharge (which I have) but you also have to be 50 years old (which I'm not) and have a pension (which I don't).
    In the US if your household makes $166k ($13.8k/month) you are in the top 5%. $50k/month puts you well into the 1% bracket. Your average doctor makes nowhere near $50k/month in income.

The top 10% make around $100k/year. Your example senior engineer is top 2% in the US.

10. wolvhund

wolvhund DI Member

Ratings:
    +121 / 36
    I probably shouldn't answer for him but I'm pretty sure he meant 50k pesos a month puts someone in the top 10% of incomes in the Philippines, thus the $1000/mo. minimum requirement, which seems pretty small in the US, works out pretty well for the PI.

The other dollar amounts he uses were also meant to be pesos, not dollars.