Dumaguete Info Search

All of Dumaguete traffic problems soon to be solved!

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by shadow, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +36 / -0
    A P20 million state-of-the-art integrated bus terminal in Dumaguete City will soon be constructed in property owned by Robinsons Land Corp. in Barangay Calindagan, Dumaguete City.

The terminal will cater to north and south bound traffic to help solve congestion in Dumaguete City.

It will be constructed as part of the investment and corporate social responsibility of Robinsons to the Dumaguete City community and will be undertaken through a Private Public Partnership scheme.

The Negros Oriental Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry, the Dumaguete City government, Land Transportation Office and the Robinsons Land Corporation have agreed to help the project through a memorandum of agreement.

The MOA signing was witnessed by national director Edgar Cabase of the Law Enforcement Division of the Land Transportation Office. Cabase, said the Dumaguete Integrated Bus Terminal is the first PPP project in Visayas, and probably in the country.

He said the PPP scheme is the thrust of President Benigno Aquino III who encourages strong partnership with non-government organizations and the government in terms of undertaking projects.

Cabase challenged the transport sector in Dumaguete City to support the project as it will benefit the community and decongest traffic.

He said it will also become a tourist attraction for the city and Negros Oriental as it provides the best services for commuters with its state of the art facilities. He added that Dumaguete is a growing city that needs development like an integrated bus terminal.

Joseph Sian property manager of Robinsons Land Corporation said they are thankful that the city government has acknowledged their contribution to the community. He said t they are expecting a return of their investment but are hoping to give utmost comfort to commuters and the transport sector.

City Mayor Manuel Sagarbarria said the project will not only help solve the traffic problem but also boost economic activity in the city.*MA

DAILY STAR: Negros Oriental

Now, perhaps someone that is smarter than I can explain to me how this "new state of the art bus terminal" is going to decongest traffic in the city?

Larry

2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +4,566 / -0
    Maybe if they reduced the tricycles by 50 percent it would solve all their problems in one hit,we all know it not the buses that cause congestion!

3. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +36 / -0
    hmmm. reading the article, it basically says:

Our mall is empty unless it is weekend, let's build dumaguete a busterminal and force people to end their trip at our mall, Maybe we can sell some 15 peso ice-cream more.

4. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / -0
    It will only decongest the area near the current terminal..

5. PangitPilot

PangitPilot DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / -0
    North Bound Buses still have to go from the terminal through the city .. The key phrase is that "Robinson's do expect a Return on their Investment"

SM in Clark own/lease the land for the transport terminal thats links Clark with other transport routes (Read: Jeeps). They want to build a new bus terminal just west of their current car park to free up space where the buses currently happen to park now (read Dirt Patch, unused, in the way of development)

It just so happens that this "dirt patch" is the "exact" location of the old rail line, which is also where the proposed New rail Line will go. Now, the proposed structure looks amazingly like a rail terminal, so what do they plan?? a rail/jeep interface terminal, all connected to the mall.

The kicker is that they actually LEASE the terminal spaces to the transport groups who pay for the use of their patch of the terminal. There are actually defined areas for each transport group. Sm makes a Profit on this, it is NOT a community Service, it makes money.

However, the terminal moves the congestion "down the street" where all the jeeps who are not part of a transport group that leases terminal space cannot get access to the terminal, or use it, park and wait for passengers to walk 100 metres to get on their jeeps. The city has to pay traffic enforcers to chase the jeeps away, which they do studiously, of course :rolleyes:

Of course, it is all connected to SM Mall by bridges, etc. Interestingly enough, to get from the proposed Bus Terminal to the Jeep/rail Terminal will require passing THROUGH the Mall, fancy that ..

6. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +2,908 / -1
    This solution is not resonating with me. An old saying is if you move a problem from here to there, it is still a problem (a less crude way of stating the actual saying). I have tried to analyze how this would improve traffic conditions, rather than shifting the problem to different exit points, and could only come up maybe a slight improvement. They move the terminal off the main road, got it, but there still has to be enter-exit points to get to the new road including left turns for buses and trikes. I hope the powers can enlighten us how this will improve traffic congestion and not just save Robinson's Mall from going broke.

7. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +36 / -0
    wondering why Ceres should give up their terminal ?
    I mean, I understand our City officials absolutely,
    ... if someone comes to me and tells me to build something "state of the art" and I can use it for free, of course I say yes. especially when I would get some additional "support" for the soon coming christmas-shopping.

Or one of the involved knows that it will never work and in a few years he can have it for a few peso, build a wall around and use it for private businesses... wouldn't be the first time that happens in Dumaguete with a terminal, wouldn't it?

8. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +18 / -0
    Let's face it, if one wants progress in any form, one has to be willing to make compromises, if one gets a new Terminal and does not need to pay with ones taxes then one should be happy with whatever will be the outcome, I don't expect to see any traffic situation improvements if not some other things are taken care off as well, like traffic law/rule enforcement, registration and licenses check without considerations etc.

9. permres

permres DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / -0
    Does all this have something to do with the rumor I heard that pedicabs will no longer be allowed son the downtown street, only on the more rural routes? This will certainly affect the livelihoods of many folks here that support their families with their pedicabs.........I agree that there are WAY too many pedicabs (and motorcycles for that matter) on the streets, though............

10. permres

permres DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / -0
    I don't see where I can now correct an error in my post; guess I waited too long. An "s" ended up at the beginning of one word instead of the end of another....it should read, "pedicabs will no longer be allowed on the downtown streets

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.