Dumaguete Info Search

Americano???? but if I was born in Spain

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by nicogiraldi, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicogiraldi

nicogiraldi DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dear Friends

When I first went to the Philippines to meet my wife's family in 2005, I felt a little bit confusing because all her neighbourgs & relative used to talk about me as if I were american...I mean, sometimes I listened people said: "oh, she married an americano", or " he is the americano from Spain"... but they knew I am spanish, but even today they still call me americano.

Not only in Negros, I remembered visiting Manila, some street children came closer to me begging some money calling me americano....

It doesn't bother me at all...but why filipinos call all the westerner americanos? I am just curious about it.

2. Teacher

Teacher DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    why? easy one

You are white you are a American. They use the term Americano instead of hey white guy ! Americans are famous they save the Philippines from Japan. that's why they say hey Joe too. They also think all white people are rich. which I guess we are by there standards. hope this helped.

3. Arie

Arie DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    and many provincials have little geographical sense, in the province I had some trouble explaining Europe was not part of the US.

But mainly in the province though (also on my first visit to the family village).

4. OP
    OP
    nicogiraldi

nicogiraldi DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes yes yes...I have also experienced that topic. most of my wife's relatives think I am stinky rich because I am Spanish....she has a brother who thought he could come to Spain & collect money bills from the trees.

Is there a medium class in the filipino society? or just very rich & very poor?

Most people in Spain is medium class, I mean most of the people can afford to have 1 or 2 cars, a decent house & enjoy food in a nice restaurant...of course there are poor & rich, but the average population has not this wild difference among classes in the Philippines.

Best

5. Arie

Arie DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    you mean middle class I guess but I don't know Fillipino society well enough to give reliable info on that, there is of course a middle class of some kind but no idea how large it is or what is considered middle class standards in the fillipines (there are lots of shades of poor as well of course).

With less job oportunities many seem to leave the country to work or live abroad.

I seem to recal from Leyte that the middle class largely had chinese roots and there was always talk about what families had spanish roots. But in Quzon all middle class or rich I met where fillipino's (so are 'the chinese', families live here for hundreds of years and have changed names to sound more Fillipino or spanish).

I am shooting a bit in the dark but maybe others can clarify and/or correct me

6. cajixh

cajixh DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    middle class...filipino?

hi I am a Filipino....

I know where USA is, and where Europe is, Geographically I know more than the average Filipino Citizen, If you are white you will be considered as an American in the eyes of the average Filipino Citizen, If you are Chinese looking, even if you are from Japan or Korea the average Citizen will still call you Chinese at first glance.

In the Philippines its more complicated to segregate what is middle class, poor, or rich, some rich will still call you American even if you are from Europe. I think generally it boils down to the extent of what the individual Filipino know. The fact is only few Filipino or locals get to go abroad, even in their own country they can become Foreigner's, I once went to Luzon and find myself like I'm in another Asian country because I cant understand a word the locals are saying.

Why are American or Western people considered rich? why? well let me tell you , ever seen those movies were you find a plumber with a vehicle? (a vehicle is a necessity in the west but in the philippines and other asian countries its considered as a luxury, even if its a crappy car) or a movie where you find a jobless depressed western male eating pizza or burgers becoming fat? ( not everyone in the philippines can eat pizza) so you see what the middle class have in the western countries are considered rich in the Philippines. why? because not so many have the money to get those things that the average western man can have.

Me and my friends use to say to each other how lucky USA is or any western countries for that matter, and just becoming a Pizza delivery boy in the west, you can earn more than having a proper job here in the Philippines that requires a college degree, and still we wonder why hold ups, robbery are still happening in the USA? well maybe having too much money isn't too much at all. People always crave for more.

Lastly, not all will call you "hey Joe", There are people who are well educated enough in Universities to know the difference and yet not all, Why? Because some students have no interest on whats happening in the world. But still there are some of us, me and my friends, Who read books, history and watch international TV in cable Television.., and yes we also like to drink Red Horse Beer, Watch Boxing, European Foot Ball, NBA.. hehe hope I made a point:D

7. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,177 / 233
    "hehe hope I made my point"
    Yes you did Cajixh and may I say excellently, without rudeness.I look forward to reading more of your opinions in the future.
    Welcome to the forum.....regards john
    PS...which Football team in Europe do you follow?

8. cajixh

cajixh DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hehe thanks:D
    there are not enough football channels on my local cable, but I watch whenever I can.. but i guess it would have to be Inter Milan and Manchester Utd..:D I think they are the top two right now..

9. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Well said Cajixh !
    So it's again a confirmation that it's NOT the age one has who makes him a wise person.

10. Arie

Arie DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    What reminds me for my next visit; Is there any place in dumaguete to watch some football together? (I follow, Ajax, Spurs and Barca)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.