Dumaguete Info Search

Annabelles on the Boulevard

Discussion in '☋ Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment ☋' started by The Dane, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmlupu

rmlupu DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A tad harsh perhaps

I know what you are saying but I would not blame the PH cuisine as much as the street vendor culture in the PH. There is some great and healthy Philippine cuisine it is just hard to find outside of small shack restraunts and and homes. I mean a good kilaw is very healthy and oh so tasty. Kladereta, Sinigang, sisig with healthy meats, pancit canton, these are some good, healthy and tasty foods you can find on the street if you know where to look. And for soul food, forget about it. No one in asia compares to the Philippines when it comes to soul :wink: I mean come on, A seat on the Rizal, Roxas Blvd or back alley jeepney lot, with tocino or lechon, puso and a San Mig....a little soy, calamansi, and many peppers.....that is simple, down-to-earth, goodness there. :D

I will admit, finding a good street vendor or street shack in the PH can be daunting and difficult compared to other places, but once you do they rank up there with some of the best.

2. caymimi

caymimi DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Well, Tom if you own it I'd love to buy it from you! :smile: It's in an incredibly beautiful spot right near to the Silliman property in Valencia on the way to Camp Lookout. Probably belongs to the government by now.

3. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Why has the lechon got to have all the fat on it, and the fish with its head still attatched , and deep fried oil that's bad for the heart. So many pinoy's
    with stroke's. Even the chicken has the fat on it. I only eat the fruit and veg,
    oh and ice cream
    Jim :D

4. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    jimeve ,it's hard to take all the fat out entirely from the whole pig for lechon,otherwise it will disfigure the whole piggy lechon looking 'imanciated' on the table.I guess it's only a matter of choice whether to eat the fat or just leave it.I like lechon with bit of fat ,though I realized the health hazard eating this type of fat . But will have an excuse that it's only once in blue moon .Filipinos as i am aware of love to eat the pork fat.You can find it in pinoy humba etc.The chinese too do eat animal fat .Fat i suppose adds more to the degree of palatability of food,can agree or disgree with this.

About deep fried food...c'mon life's too short not to enjoy them.As long as not eating deep dried food in everyday menu.

It's not good to repeatedly use fat in cooking,as it hydrogenizes the fat during this continuous process of reheating .Also food that are deep fried esp starchy rich in carb like potato chips,when on the process cooked under intense heat will develop kind of acrylamide substance which is carcinogenic ...so less fish and chips eh.lols:D

Are you telling us jimeve you're vegetarian? Hmmm i love steaks.

5. Cyndi

Cyndi DI Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I tell my American friends that I never ate healthier than when I was in the PHL. It took some time but once I figured out the good spots to eat and where to go then it worked out fine. I also had friends that would come over and we would buy all the ingredients (i.e. humba) for a meal that I knew I liked from a fiesta and we would recreate it in a healthy way and PIG OUT!

I am a big FRUIT and VEGETABLE fan which is why I SOOO MISS the FRESH stuff from the Mtns and farmers! The stuff here in the stores are ICK.....they were shipped before they were ripe, it is expensive and it is nasty! I can't eat big plate fulls of it like I did in the PHL. mmmmmmm......just thinking about it is making me hungry! I lucked out with the Farmer's Market during the summer here. There fresh items are just like the PHL.

6. Devlin

Devlin DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I say if the exhaust fumes get to you try Devlin's Resto Bar. No noisey traffic, clean air,and great garden surroundings with gentle flowing water features.The odd snake in the garden, plus those pesky flying lizards,which I am sure not many outsiders have seen. Cold beer good food and great music.
    The Dane must come to Devlin's Don't forget Fashion show Friday night. This is good clean entertainment for all. We look for ward to seeing you at Devlin's

7. Dave

Dave DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the great post Newt!
    I'm gona be looking during my Duma trip this fall. Guys we must use our brain not...:rolleyes:
    Look out all you 30 year old Filipinas here I come.:eek: Dave

8. Cyndi

Cyndi DI Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Devlin,

I have to try out that place. It sounds so GREAT especially the Fashion show is a nice touch! I am so impressed with so many of the restaurants that have opened in Dumaguete City. I love how each one made their place unique in some way but BEST of all they include the Native/Natural touches. Where is Devlin located? I don't remember seeing it when I was there.

By the way......I am TERRIFIED of snakes but I am also ADVENTUROUS and willing to risk going there just to check out the place...LOL....

9. pickled_newt

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    I do agree i never heard of these new places in dumaguete when we were there ,let alone Devlin.It's nice when every new place has unique type of character /entertainment of its own ,and many sprouting in Dgte ,that would be great. Also places which are children friendly ,that would be good with families with smaller kids.

10. pickled_newt

Ratings:
    +17 / 12

Hope you'll have pretty good time when in Dumaguete Dave.Enjoy your search,you might have the stroke of luck.:smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.