Dumaguete Info Search

Annabelles on the Boulevard

Discussion in '☋ Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment ☋' started by The Dane, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    No i am not a veggie, just a fussy eater. I just don't like fat on my plate, my wife has to cut all of the fat off the meat before its served.
    Just looking at it makes me puke, and I will eat deep fat fried as long as the oil is none saturated I.E sun flower oil . I prefer grilled fish,on a B-B-Q UMMM
    without the head or intestines

2. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    jimeve

I think most of you in the west chuck pork fat away ,except on bacons sometimes and in sausages,pates not too obvious. It looks actually yukky to see those blobs of fat as you get the meat out the fridge for instance.In the Philippines,those fats would glisten all over the meat when dissolve because of heat.But yes perhaps that's the main reason why many filipinos have hypertension because of misinformation about animal fat ,added to eating lot of salt in their diet.I know many even keep all those pork or chicken fat like it's a cooking oil ,and used to cook their stir fries in it even fried rice etc,because it comes with some flavour,unknowing it's like silent poison.
    There's only miniscule health information drive in the Philippines like you see here in the west,so far as I am aware of during my time there. Perhaps now it might have improved.

Yes what i missed here is the variety of fresh fish in the Philippines,and grilled nicely with olive oil and spices/herbs or just few slices of tomatoes and onions garnished on top ,plus salads will make my day.

One of the english way that's gets me is the ' cuppa tea ',lols. And more healthier too is i was able to get rid of having sugar in my hot drinks.I don't know how manage that,but now it taste yukky when my hot drink has sugar,even coffee , a less stressful change.

3. jimeve

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I always miss my cuppa tea when in Philippines , but other things make up for that, like fresh tropical fruit and the lovely sunshine That we don't have in U.K.
    That reminds me must take plenty of teabags over. Booked my flight for my hols
    in Bohol . got a very cheap flight with HK oasis airway £560 return for two, thats to HK only. Then cebu pacific HK to Manila £ 122. Will be over in december
    god willing :D

4. caymimi

caymimi DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    I read on the WHO website a while ago that the healthiest oil is olive, next is vegetable. And if both of those are too expensive to be used everyday then the next best oil to use is canola. All other oil is too yellow and unhealthy. The more transparent and lighter the oil, the healthier.

5. chrissar

chrissar DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    While in Dumaguete a month ago, checked of the stuff we normally use in healthy cooking and olive oil for 300ml costs about 350PhP and looking for the availability of the spices my husband is so fussy about in his cooking (he's a brilliant cook).:smile: :smile:

Jimeve, we brought a box of breakfast tea in the Phils, but funny, we never had a cuppa coz of the hot weather and we preferred to have cold beers, cold drinks.

6. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    We do have hot drinks during early hours in the morning if awake and on breakfast time and before bed time even in the Philippines. We always bring pack of tea bags with us on holidays,lols.In Dumaguete you can get the Lipton ,but it's not similar to the english tea,prefer either PG tips or tetleys .Don't like to miss out on english tea during holidays.:smile:

7. jimeve

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Thanks for the infor Crissare .
    Oh well suppose I will have to put up with cold beers.... sigh :rolleyes:

8. jimeve

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    pickled_newt, how long have you been in England, you sound like a proper Brit
    lol :D

9. unkjoe55

unkjoe55 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The first place I hit upon reaching town recently. I lived in Bacolod for a few months and went to Duma to see if it would be a better long term fit and it is. Food,service and atmosphere fit me fine. Fumes far less than the seemingly endless stream of sugarcane trucks in Bacolod. Will return for sure.

10. Fozzboy

Fozzboy DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi, well thanks for reminding me of PG tips tea etc, im from the UK but been here for 1 year now, also miss good old Fish "N" Chips with lots of salt and malt vinegar:D, something i can't find here :eek:

Alan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.