Dumaguete Info Search

another foreigner runs amok

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by RHB, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Yes a copy paste, got it off the news feed on my blog this AM, interestingly this stuff makes it to world wide distribution via the internet, be careful. Who knows where thre real story lies. Seems they only quoted the Mayor.

A Dutch national was declared "persona non grata" in Zamboaguita town in Negros Oriental after allegedly running amuck inside the mayor's residential compound.

Online news site Visayan Daily Star on Saturday reported that the town council declared Huvertos Stille, 57, "persona non grata" after the incident last week.

Stille, who is married to a Filipino woman, presently resides at Sitio Dalakit, Basak village in Zambonguita.

Mayor Kit Mark Adanza had filed several criminal complaints against Stille. Police investigation showed that before the incident, Stille was having a drinking spree with his father-in-law, whom he later punched.

Investigators also said Stille tried to get inside the mayor's house by banging the front door. He also reportedly asked for an ambulance from Adanza to bring his father-in-law to a hospital.

Adanza told the police he tried to calm the suspect and told him the ambulance was "unserviceable."

He sent another vehicle to bring the victim to the hospital, but Stille refused to listen, attempted to attack him, and uttered invectives against the mayor and the Filipino people, until Adanza
    asked help from authorities.

Senior Inspector Domeniciano Distrito Jr, the town's chief of police, said Stille's neighbors earlier filed harassment complaints against the Dutch national.

Adanza filed charges for qualified trespass to dwelling, direct assault on a person in authority, and grave oral defamation against Stille at the Provincial Prosecutor's Office. - GMANews.TV

2. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    The only thing I want to tell to this:
    I know the Dutch person very well and do regard him as my friend.
    I don't want to react on the allegations in the pasted posting for good reasons.
    Indeed ..... be carefull.
    Hope to be able to react later, but hope this is NOT gonna become a long thread; not in time and not in postings.
    Don't please make assumptions, suggestions, or whatever and wait for later clarifications.
    BTW: I don't mean to say here that YOU are doing the above RHB.
    It's only ment as a general question.

3. OP
    OP
    RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    I was not surprised to see the type of allegations stated in the article, but I was surprised it made the International news carriers on the Net. We all know that there can be many sides to a story like this, the point is, now everyone in the world has access to it.

The other point I would make; regardless of the accuracy of the news article, the guy made a fundemental mistake of asserting himself against authorities in a foreign country without considering the consequences. Not an indictement, but a word of caution...

4. blackline

blackline DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Yes. When you are somewhere as a guest, act as one.

But off course neither of us know the whole story. Only from one side's point of view.

5. tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    The hope is that all parties can successfully resolve this...outside the publics view.. Blackline, you are right, we need to remember that regardless of how we view or feel about our homeland, we are direct representatives at all times of our homeland and guests in a foreign country. Which is why I hope these folks can resolve this out of the publics eyes. Of course, regardless of what happens, we know that as expats, we are probably viewed as guilty just for being expats...well, maybe not all the time.

6. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Thanks so far.
    The guy knows very well that he made a big mistake and regrets the way he wanted to help his father in law who felt and got a seriously hurted arm.
    His condition was far from ideal at that time.
    The way he did react .... he knows he did wrong.
    Hope indeed that a fair solution will be found out of the publics eyes.
    I can tell you however that the Visayan Daily Star "information" contains some completely untrue statements.
    Let's leave it further to the parties involved.

7. OP
    OP
    RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Of course it is obvious to we who live here the one sidedness of this story, accurate or not. the issue for others is that for any reader not in the community, there would be no reason to question these "facts."

I am very curious why or how the story made it out of Zambo?

8. blackline

blackline DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    About this story we cannot do anything but learning a lesson.

We all also know that how this kinda stuff are handled in our respective countries,not also was done through the night. It was a slow process.

And we cannot "hammer" it into the Philippino "public brain"

Through respectful dialog with them still we can contribute to a change in the right directions, but it have to be the Philippinos themselves to make the change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.