Dumaguete Info Search

Apo island turtles

Discussion in '☋ Apo - Siquijor - Bohol ☋' started by sntmig, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sntmig

sntmig DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +121 / 17
    A couple of months back there was a very rare occurance at Apo. A large green sea turtle swam up on the main beach, and proceded to lay her eggs. (they have a very accute sence of exactly when and where to do this) One of the prominant divemasters from Apo, decided,without consultation or juristiction,to re-loccate the "nest". Unfourtunatly,not one, of the over 100 eggs, hatched. Sea turtles are on the Philippines "Endangered Species" list and the touching,harrasment, or disturbance of the creature or its nest or eggs, is punnishable by law. Annother "crime" that, because no one will say anything, will get swept under the carpet....too bad. :confused:

2. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    we had a hawksbill lay eggs on our tiny beach at ocean terrace ( liloan point) last year and the eggs hatched ( according to our workers...I was out of country at the time and missed it) hopefully some of the little ones will grow up and make it back to the beach through the gauntlet of fishermen
    Odds are that the turtle at Apo was a hawksbill also
    They frequently relocate turtle eggs in Florida to safer locations but they must be careful to maintain the correct depth to have the right temperature range for incubation .... survival rate for the young is low in the wild - 1/200 or so thru the first year ... a program that keeps the young safe for a year so they are released as frisbee sized turtles has worked very well to replinish populations in the carribean and the keys... for example, the regional boy scout HQ in Islamorada (fla keys) has sucessfully done this since 1980 with greens) ..of course, the people involved must know what they are doing

3. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    I don't know the exact text of that law but should love to see it also executed :wink:
    They know which divemaster (????) it was but nothing happens ?
    That's what I mean with execution of a law.
    Btw: your phrase "because no one will say anything, will get swept under the carpet...." I have seen more often on this forum.
    Are you acquainted with B-Fish ? :D (joke !)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.