Dumaguete Info Search

Are you ready for the boom ?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by loftyone, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Nice to know you think NO ONE needs a mall.
    Some need a mall, wasn't that evident by various postings or did they not know what they were writing :D :confused: ?
    (to be continued)

2. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    There is a big difference between a "need" and a "want" Marketing strategies try to convince you that you need a new car for example, when in fact it is optional to driving your old one.

Food is a need, water is a need, basic shelter is a need. A mall, sorry does not qualify as a need.

Put in economic terms, everything has a cost. If you have a choice to either do your homework or go to the mall to meet your friends, there is not a free choice. If you choose to go to the mall and not do your homework, fail the exam. drop out of school, then the opportunity cost of going to the mall may very well be a good education or better paying job.

On the other hand if you choose to stay home and study, the cost of missing one evening out with your friends is what? How ever you measure it the "cost" is potentially less than staying home.

3. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Need

I know about Maslov's theories but DON'T have a NEED to discuss it.
    What people need (many use that word also for WANT/LIKE) is their choise.
    For me the poster's remark was clear, that's simply why I reacted like I did :smile:
    I need a break now. Cheers :D

4. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Agree with Rhoody. Some kind of ring-road to lead long-distance trafic around the center of Dumaguete seems appropriate as does a limitation of the number of tricycles in the central part of town. The tricycles should be replaced by one or two short distance jeepney routes to take people around central town. If people have to walk 100 meters from the jeepney to the shop, then so be it.

5. daffs

daffs DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Correct! Well ,I already put my points on the other threads in similar topic .

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    that happens in Dumaguete whenever I go shopping to the well known LEE and Top's places... no need for a mall in that case... but I guess it's my good look and my young age... for 60+ a Mall might be better... hehe:p

7. daffs

daffs DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    As long as you are blond,( brown ,blue,gray eyes),white or fair skin,long nose….you are so attractive there and age doesn’t matter(even if you are 100) he..he…no need to enter the mall.

8. AussieMike

AussieMike DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm a baby boomer, and going to retire in RP because I don't have enough superannuation to retire in Australia. That's why I'm on a couple of forums and will be coming over next year to check the place out.

However in the case of Aussies I doubt if there would be more than a few thousand of us, because most Aus blokes would die of culture shock within 5 minutes of stepping off the plane. Also their wives would not come to the Philippines in a fit. What does tend to happen is that the divorced / widowed ones often marry Filipinas (we call them mail order brides here) and next thing you know there's a 70 y.o. with a 25 y.o. Filipina wife working her t**s off as a nurse or office worker to support him in his retirement. I know a few in the area where I live. The girls tend to gravitate to each other and form their own social network and the ones I know are generally cheerful about their lot, at least they get a nice home and car and a lot of financial freedom.

The baby boomers who will come to RP are people like me who travelled widely in the 70's, went overland to Katmandu, worked on that Kibbutz in Israel, slept on the Beach in Crete....

It's not just the money, that's the icing on the cake, what we seek is the freedom of being back on the road again after a lifetime of working and raising kids, and in my case being single again, and living in a country of joyful people who still respect older people.

No way am I going to live in a compound somewhere. I'm going to learn good Cebuano and settle somewhere in the Visayas and have a ball and drink some Red Horse.

And get a motor bike again.

And stay out of the malls :D

9. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    good onyer mate, same here.

Cheers. :smile:

10. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Perfect fit, good observations, My one post from an earlier thread, defines foreigner as over 55, single, divorced, white guy. It is the truth, or married to second wife who is Filipina.

to Rhoody, there is a difference from flirting with the shop girls in Uni top and getting acosted by freelances as you stroll the mall. That isn't happening here yet, although the Bvld is the exception.

Be careful what you wish for when everyone gets the precious mall, and the side effects become apparent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.