Dumaguete Info Search

Arriving in Dumaguete 1911

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by garbonzo, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ViperACR

ViperACR DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The building on the right was the Governor’s Residence. Currently the site of Honeycomb Hotel. In fact there’s a framed reference to the Governor’s Residence “Casa Gobierno”(sp) once being on that site, hanging on the left wall inside Honeycomb’s lobby.

The building on the left in the postcard photo then is probably the original Teves’ home prior to construction of the green Teves home now standing on the south side of Bethel Guest House.

Silliman Institute.Silliman University was founded on August 28, 1901 as Silliman Institute. It was an elementary school for boys founded by Protestant missionaries Dr. David Sutherland Hibbard and Laura Crooks Hibbard under the Board of Foreign Missions of the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America. Operations started through a gift donation from a businessman and a Christian philanthropist of Cohoes, New York, Dr. Horace Brinsmade Silliman (where Silliman University got its name).

2. ViperACR

ViperACR DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This postcard is from Laura Hibbard to her sister Jennie Sutherland Hibbard who married F.J. Paul on May 1, 1884. Hence it's addressed to Jennie S. Paul.

Jennie died 13 months after this postcard was mailed on July 6, 1912 just before her 48th birthday..

3. OP
    OP
    garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Outstanding research Viper! We should add a couple zeros and put it back on eBay:D . Seriously, you did well. Many thanks.

If Silliman University genuinely would like to add this to their memorabilia collection, we wouldn't mind if one of their staff contacts me here on the forum, and we'll make arrangements to get it there. Interesting story Viper uncovered.

4. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Well done Viper!:D

5. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    What a treasure you got there Garbonzo...

Great detective work by Viper!!

6. 2blackbelts

2blackbelts DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Arriving in Dum...

I also was fortunate to buy a Dumaguete Blvd picture, circa - 1906 - 1912, and it was uncirculated.

I will scan it and send it to Dane to post on the board.

2 blackbelts

7. ViperACR

ViperACR DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When I was relating this info to Mr. Cang at Bethel, he mentioned the name of the Silliman U historian. I think he said Miriam. If you're interested in donating it or a copy(!) on heavy bond paper to Silliman you could go to their website and send them an email.

8. ViperACR

ViperACR DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nuts, I've got it a bit wrong, but not much.

You guys piece together info from these two web pages and see what you get.. It looks like there are 2 Rev David Sutherland Hibbards. One living from 1831-1911, and the other living from 1868-1966 who was the Silliman founder. The Sutherland name weaves through the Hibbard family tree though!

Genealogy Data

Genealogy Data

It all adds up somehow...(!)

9. Marky

Marky DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Wonderful find!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.