Dumaguete Info Search

As if Filipino restaurants are loud enough already..

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by Bandit, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Bandit....going to the wrong places....I would have done hundreds of meals all over the country and only a couple were really unpleasant due to customer behavior. Most were good to very good! And the most unpleasant for me was very drunk army troopers on Bohol playing with their guns and pissing off the staff....

2. aying

aying DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    "A typical reaction here to crticism btw."

Criticism, like..."Filipinos are noisy or Filipinos are don't know how to do this or that, Filipinos are so and so"......that is criticism. That I can take. That is what people are.

But calling Filipinos names that are belittling, derogatory and racial is another story.

No one asked you to come and belittle as for what we are.

May I politely remind you that you are in OUR country and OUR city...

.....don't forget that. unless you need to be reminded?

3. pecoskid45

pecoskid45 DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Noisy Restaurants

My question is why would you be going to a Flip restaurant anyway?
    Go to Casablanca or one of the nice resorts nearby.

4. pecoskid45

pecoskid45 DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Criticism

No, we don't need to be reminded. Our fathers, brothers, uncles, voulenteered to come here after WWII and throw the Japanese out of YOUR
    country. 10,000 of them are still buried here. We haven't forgotten.

5. aying

aying DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    And that is supposed to mean what pecoskid45?

That anyone can just call Filipinos derogatory names, because "their fathers, brothers, uncles, voulenteered to come here after WWII and throw the Japanese out of OUR country"??

Because YOUR "their fathers, brothers, uncles, voulenteered to come here after WWII and throw the Japanese out of OUR country" doesn't mean you look down on the people and belittle the locals.... that is what you need to remember.

6. Arie

Arie DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I recently read a pretty striking remark on the Filipino ambivalent feelings of the liberation, it was something like; 'the way you feel grateful for somebody liberating you and in the process flattening your home."

World War II casualties - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyhow I feel grateful for everybody liberating us, Brits, Canadians, Americans etc. but that has little to do with having to accept any deteriorating terms of them.

note1: nobody volunteered it was a draft system
    note2: Philippines where basically a US protectorate (something that will likely be denied)
    note3: the Filipino army consisted largely of troops formally in the employment of the US
    note4: the US army committed a whole bunch of war crimes in the Philippine-American War as well (and so did the Filipino's but it was their country), so if you start to claim the virtues of your ancestors also claim the vices.

On the kids and restaurants, I thought it quiet funny about drawing that kind of stuff to you. There are of course a lot more of the little tykes then in other countries (coming home after a long visit is like visiting the old peoples country the average age difference is so huge):D

and you should not have dinner at Jollybees Bandit :wink:

overal I enjoy the presence of kids (if they are not whinning pests), cheers the place up and I rather see them run around than being mobile phone addicts (pathetic sight)

7. pecoskid45

pecoskid45 DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    1. I assure you no one is demeaning Filipinos by the use on the word "Flip".
    It's only a word. If you feel belittled, you're reading way too much into
    it. Most guys here have Flip wives.
    2. I just returned from the US and rest assured that the kids act up MUCH
    more in the restaurants there. I found it very noticable after being here.
    It's illegal to disicpine your kids there so everyone is forced to ignore it.
    Most of the biggest brats in Dgte. are the children of foreign parents.

8. Arie

Arie DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    tbf I never heard of the term other then a common Dutch first name (so should likely not have butted in)

9. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    [
    note4: the US army committed a whole bunch of war crimes in the Philippine-American War as well (and so did the Filipino's but it was their country),

So I guess what happened in auschwitz was ok because it was their country! What kind of logic is that.You seem to have a problem working out right from wrong,and reasoning. If anybody commits a crime in their country it is not okay or alright to turn the other cheek like it hasnt happened just because it's their country :mad:

10. Maximus

Maximus DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    d*mn! we can blame it on the 12 yr old girl who decided she can play a violin at Shakeys restaurant behind a grumpy old foreigner :smile:
    and started all this bickering about flips and my "fathers, brothers" being drafted in WWII etc etc etc

:smile: Peace!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.