Dumaguete Info Search

BAD POWER SUPPLY IN DUMAGUETE and the rest

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by earlmj, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    It hasn't been mentioned but "regular" planned brown outs occur for general maintanence. Usually The Sunday 9 -5 brown outs. Noreco crews comb the streets repairing and untangling I presume. Imagine that happening in the developed countries, it would go over like a lead balloon. But here it is expected and accepted.
    Owning property here, to chime in, is a risk, I agree with the naysayers on that. The only way is either to marry a pilipina or hire a "dummy" then take out a 75 year lease with rights to sell the lease. To me the dummy is really a smarty as if something "happens" to you he gets the property. Same with the wife, she and her relatives will get rights to what ever the courts decide should you have a problem. The courts always side with a citizen of the Philipipines. The real risk is this.
    Many land titles are bogus and or highly inaccurate. I used to be into subdividing and sureying. Here my girlfriends family just went through a big hassle getting some of their property accuratly surveyed. ( at my suggestion) It's unbelievable how unconcerned everyone is about property lines, UNTIL you tell them you own 100 sq. meters of their land.! A foreigner lost over that on a beach front lot next to this parcel. The guy apparently never hired engineers to survey his parcel when he bought it. the sellers of course told him he owned more than he actuually bought.
    Squatter rights exist here as well beware. if you buy alot and don't fence it in, some one can come sit plant corn and end up owning it, or rightfully demanding money for improving the land.

Many other stories and anectodatal stuf, but you get thepicture. Buying if you must, in a subdivision is a secure way to do it.

2. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    LOL Yabs...not colonial at all...in most of the gated communities the residents are generally Filipino professionals and businessmen (and women). In ours, I'd say at least 2/3rds...but I think 3/4's would be more accurate would be Filipino. They don't want the agro either...and have worked hard to get where they are at.

3. OP
    OP
    earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    It,s a bloody shame , it is..

Okay well ,atleast my topics get full attention like in the "old days ":D :
    But lets face it , like Pickled Newt said.. It is a bloody shame.
    When it comes to the topic of To own a house (build) or not . I am caught in the middle.
    For most fcoming from abroad I would say. rent so you may leave again as you please ( kareoke at 4 AM is a GOOD reason !) .
    Or buy a 2.000 m2 property so you will not get any nearby families ...

YABS , I read ,that is the red sign in the header ,that you have been somewhat a shameless person in the past. To be frank with you, I am not aware of anything happening that would give you this "Medal of Honor ":wink:
    If so ,I should have recieved the same medal ,only not like you the silver one BUT the Golden first price hahaha:D :D

4. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    i knwo infamy at last
    as for gated commu nities
    I for one just don't like the sight of big residentail communities
    it all looks too atificail for me.
    I am actually thinking of buying some land on spounthern cebu as its very cheap
    Not to make mo ney but to protect ot from ugly korean resorts
    Its this that is needed to proiytect the Phils
    we all need to start buying land to protect it
    its a pity the worlds rich are not more i nto this
    I have eebn offered 900,sq meters on southern cebu for 200,000 P
    I may well go for it as i say to protect it from greedy developers
    may plant a mango tree or two

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    buying a lot

Yabs , there is a 7.2 Hectare lot for sale in Dauin with cocopalms and fruitbearing Mango trees at 80 peso per m2........ It is more then the
    200.000 P you have in mind but a good investment with returns for years to come.. plus a good investments against the K..:D well you know..

6. eddy

eddy DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    power supply problems

I rented a house amongst the local people in dumaguete, folk were lovely, but builders across the road, next door a piggery, constant brownouts, (internet was rubbish you could make a cup of coffee before a web page appeared) good points, water was plentiful, nice resorts like baharra and apo not too far away, why not and hay-hay are good. I think a sub. division is the way to go for most people, and if it is negros like the earlier post said, bacold has better prospects for internet, power, and getting a house in a sub. div. but I have to say my 2 filipino helpers prefered dumaguete to bacold. but the power situation in dumaguete is not suitable for anyone who relies on the internet for business, as the dane can confirm. really everone has their personal favorite place to live in the P.I the same as the u.k or the states, a guy from idaho would probably hate new york city, same goes for here, no one is right or wrong just personal choice.

7. OP
    OP
    earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    So rightly putted..

O well Eddy . I am totaly with you withinh the topic that I myslef have started out only yesterday and so many attention already recieved.
    To be frank with you about internet . I recieved from Smart the newest extra long distance transmitter that can go up to 10 miles.. build in reflector and that for the standard price of 999 P lang..
    A very good deal I am online 24/7 for business and must say everything works fine ...
    Powerfailure and that was the topic diba, is going to remain unless we all start kicking asses at NORECO ..
    Mind you.. here in Negros I pay double what I paid with MERALCO in Manila and that was hassle free !!!!!

8. progmeister

progmeister DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    This is so typical, isn't it? Negros, even with it's own geothermal plant (Palinpinon man to sa?) can't even look after it's own powerwise. Someone told me that there was a building next to the Fire Department that burned down. Next to the FIRE Department!! What a joke!! Tinood ni? If this is then what hope is there? If it is such that only houses with loud karaoke machines and tonedeaf people get power failure then that's ok with me. :D

9. Gomez

Gomez Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, I can see the cons of owning a house in non-subdivision area. I always intended to go with a subdivision. Any suggestions as to a nice subdivision?
    But more importantly, the brownouts also occur in downtown Dumaguete, or is this an outskirts problem? If it happens downtown, all the stores must have generators running almost constantly?

10. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Thats the word

Subdivision... that was the word I was looking for... I had Ghetto in my mind, but thought it's not appropriate...
    (ingat...humor)

or maybe not? how were the things called where people life in their own community with high walls around together and watchmen registering everybody entering and leaving the place ???:wink: :p :wink:

cheers
    Rhoody

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.