Dumaguete Info Search

BAD POWER SUPPLY IN DUMAGUETE and the rest

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by earlmj, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    why will i be at the airport?
    if i don't like it then it won't be that simple considering all the money i've spent omn aircon etc but i can move elsewhere as I'm only renting
    i'm a free agent which ois more than could be said for someone who has bought into an artificail complex/compound

2. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Sorry Yabs...haven't had much chance to sit down and type lately...busy boy at work and too buggered after long days. The reason I said it is simply, statistically from what I hear, read, and see...the average residence period for foreignors in the Philippines is about 5 years...A lot of reasons for it, no doubt...given the age demographic - but health probably tops the list.

I don't subscribe to the ' health care is wonderful in the Philippines' BS that you hear a lot of....yes the nurses are very cute and the doctors know some buzzwords...but fact is anyone with some experience and brains has already left, or is very busy trying to...I've only had a couple experiences with the health system...self-induced diving causes...and I am really unimpressed...misdiagnosis, wrong drugs prescribed...yada, yada, yada...You might be ok in the best Manila hospitals...heard some good reports on one in Cebu...

But beyond that, others leave because of overseas family....still can't make the cultural adjustments, or sadly for some...been ripped off till they can't afford to stay.

Anyway, hope you soldier on and live to a ripe old age avoiding falling coconuts in Dumaguete. I was just speaking statistically, but no personal malice intended...

3. India-One

India-One DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    news brief!

Noreco 2 upgrades
    power sub-stations

The Negros Oriental II Electric Cooperative has started implementing projects to upgrade power sub-stations in its coverage areas, its general manager Ephraim Taclob said.

Taclob said this is in line with the P85 million loan package of NORECO II, approved during the last general assembly.

Set for upgrading is the power sub-station in Tanjay, and the two 10-MVA substations in Dumaguete City to address its increasing power needs. Taclob said the electric cooperative makes use of the power interruptions scheduled by the National Transmission Corporation, in replacing dilapidated posts.

4. Melvin Tinklehopper

Melvin Tinklehopper Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Translation: I got evicted again :mad:

5. Cyndi

Cyndi DI Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Great comments on whether to build or not in the PHL! Thanks for everyone's HONEST opinions. I have debated this topic with my friend that has lived there for years. I will say that after living there myself I tend to agree that I keep leaning towards renting. I have personally experienced and heard of other stories about neighbors that just are horrid. I would have never understood it if I didn't experience how MISERABLE it is when new people moved in next door that don't have common courtesy at all and make living UNBEARABLE on top of STEALING from me too. At the time......all I could think about was THANK GOD that I am only renting and have a choice to move. There are too many out there that don't have common decency and don't really care to get along with their neighbors so why take that chance? If you all are right and it is cheap enough to rent then I will certainly stick with renting although I would prefer owning. I have also visited friends and the STENCH of the neighbor's newly bought pigs which was HORRID! As my friend stated that it is illegal NOT to keep the pig area cleaned out.......yet again there is NO ENFORCEMENT of much plus no one turns in a neighbor in fear of retaliation (my friends have spoken about neighbors retaliating too for certain incidents....talk about ghetto mentality!). A paradise is quickly turned into a nightmare when others are allowed to get away with WHATEVER they please without enforcement. Yes, it is sad the thought of gated communities and I would hate that. I love living amongst the locals but what choices are there really especially for foreigners? It isn't worth the risk. Also, like Rhoody mentioned.......I never thought about it but yes there may be other places that I may like even better.

hmmm.........now the last decision to make before retiring there is health care in which I have NO FAITH in at all! But again you take the good with the bad. At this point with America needing nurses badly there are many good health care professionals leaving the PHL. I knew a two doctors married to each other with young kids and seemed to have the ideal life in DUMA including a beautiful house yet they entered/completed nursing courses and are on their way to America. Can they really believe that will be a better life? They said that most in the nursing class were PHL doctors .Crazy but true!

6. William B. Foulk

William B. Foulk DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After reading about the power problems I have decided not to move to D town. The problems outlined are usually indicative of a city's management. Power and water are two very important elements in my life. I will go elsewhere, maybe back to Baguio where there is an occasional outage, but they are almost always planned and announced. Also the electrical flow is consistent.

7. progmeister

progmeister DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    It's a shame really, one wonders when the city officials will finally decide to get their heads out of their you-know-whats and make brownouts a thing of the past. If a city official happens to read this post, WAKEY WAKEY!!!

8. Chuck the Canuck

Chuck the Canuck DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The proper name for the "Whooosh" is a "Power Spike". The first photo I ever took in DGTE, when I got here a few years ago, was of an electric utility pole. It was what we call in electricity "a rat's nest"....just a tangled mess of wires. It was so bad that I took a photo because I knew my friends in the trade wouldn't believe it unless I sent a picture. I worked in electrical regulation for years for the Canadian gov't. Even if they fix their problems at the generator in Valencia, they would have to also fix the wiring because you can get all kinds of problems with "phantom wiring" (mysterious incoherent routings). You are best to get not just a voltage regulator but an uninteruptable power supply(called UPS by electronics places). Most decent quality electronics has built in voltage regulators inside the appliance but it can only correct transient power drops and spikes of a millisecond or two and can't deal with anything too off the rated mark. You are lucky it's brown outs because the rated inputs to most electronics are actually quite a bit higher than what is needed to do the typical AC to DC conversion that happens in most equipment. Power spikes are the real demon and can cook your equipment or at least crash any digital stuff. Uninteruptable power supplies are the ultimate answer but are really expensive for 240V.

9. Chuck the Canuck

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The communities with high walls etc are typically called "Gated Communities" in english.

10. Chuck the Canuck

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    BTW...I learned my lessons in Mexico....DON"T EVER BY PROPERTY IN AN UNDERDEVELOPED NATION !!!! RENT....rent....rent !!! Things might be fine today...but tomorrow is another government and you don't have much in the way of recourse when something goes wrong....and something ALWAYS goes wrong eventually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.