Dumaguete Info Search

Balikbayan Box Xray

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by Firefly44, May 20, 2011.

1. Tom2bad68

Tom2bad68 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Some of the boxes we shipped last year when we moved were xrayed.... by the us homeland security. I know because they opened 2 of the boxes that contained needles for the insulin pens my parents use. Evidently that looked suspicious. They taped the boxes back up with Tape labeled Homeland Security.

I thought that was interesting since the boxes were leaving not coming into the US.

Interesting enough the security at the Inchon airport thought mom and dads carry on was suspicious and opened up the bag containing all the insulin pens. That was the third time the bags had gone through security in less than 24 hours and they were the only ones that seemed interested.

2. Dolores

Dolores DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Interestingly, when I sent a couple of boxes from abroad to relatives here in Manila early this year, the Shipping Agent said the boxes were not heavy enough that they will certainly get checked by Customs. She actually suggested that I put rocks to make them heavy. Apparently Customs are suspicious of light weight boxes...might be clothes for ukay-ukay business which are subject to taxes.

3. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    A balikbayan box stuffed with clothes would not be all that light.

Larry

4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Ain't that a fact!

:wink: I have a medium sized suitcase and I always seem to be on the Border line for international Flight and 4/7 Kilo over for Domestic.:eek:

Jack P.:smile: