Dumaguete Info Search

Beggng On The Streets Of Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by earlmj, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. India-One

India-One DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    needs political will

for time being i was staying in dumaguete, i guess the city government was able to dramatically reduces the local beggars,especially children of course with the help of some NGO, special mention to LCP.

what dumaguete is experiencing right now is the so called imported beggars, is which this has been controlled by certain individuals who make money from it,they came from neighboring province, island or municipality, i heard before that the badjaos had their own financier, we just try to imagine how come a group or family badjao come to dumaguete with-out these so called fixers or financier.

giving is not bad at all, but if not giving to these beggar is the only way to illiminate it, then i guess everybody has to do it, who will try to beg in our city of we will be known that this city will not give to beggars, and need strong political will to get rid of these, cut the head(financiers).

restrain ceres liner and shipping company.

2. OP
    OP
    earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    INDIA - ONE WHERE Were you all the time ??
    I mean somebody with your kind of imput is a MAJOR asset to this forum , and I do believ you have alreday the full appriciation of all of you..

WELCOME ON BOARD and may I have the honor of meeting up with you one day..
    I would be a great pleasure !!
    Earl

3. India-One

India-One DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    earl, i have been a long lost son of dgte, even though i can go home twice a year but i guess i wont be enough.

i really appreciate you guys (expat coming up with this forum), its helps alot for local and expat alike, i have several non-Filipino friends, i usually open up this topic everytime they wish to visit our place, because usually encourage then to do their vacation in PI(help revenue),because they hear more often are just beautiful beaches and other PLUS side of the land, so giving them the negative side prepares them when they decided to come.

thanks for the welcome earl

4. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    The numbers of beggars in Tagbilaran has been creeping up as well last couple of years...and getting to the: more than annoying stage...

Worse, they do it in full view of the police at CPG avenue intersections...let me guess whose making a few pesos as well...

5. India-One

India-One DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0

Garbonzo, i guess your guess is as good as mine.

6. Cyndi

Cyndi DI Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    It was my understanding that Bias City police does a good job of picking up the children beggars and then giving TICKETS to the parents that send them out to do that (many do have housing and make a living off it from their kid's begging). After so many tickets then the kids will be removed from the household. If Bias City police are more on top of the situation then why not the other places/police? Actually, I was told by a reliable friend from Bias that many of the parents send their kids to Dgte to beg knowing that the police are easy there. He saw many kids from Bias begging on the streets of Dgte.

I remember one time in Chicago that a lady holding a kid was begging money from all of us workers heading for the trains to ride home. She was asking for food $$.......everybody laughed her off and said that the kid should be taken away from her. They were RIGHT.......there are numerous programs and $$ given to such women in those circumstances. She OBVIOUSLY was trying to get cash to fund her bad vices but the people knew her game.

It is harder for me to be so judgemental when in the PHL since I know there isn't really much gov. funding or programs for such things.

7. India-One

India-One DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    cindy, i guess the government has enough programs and funding for this problem, there are even plenty NGO's who are helping, as what i have understand on you post above, is that if bais city can eliminate its beggar problem then why dumaguete cant? so i guess its in the will and determination of the political leaders, cooperation from the community and proper implementation.

as we all know most beggars in dumaguete are imported, for me it ain't hard to eliminate as long as they got the balls.

my1cent

8. dumaguetenia

dumaguetenia DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Hi...everyone that post an input in this post of earlmj, Thanks to you sir, in opening this topic. As the town anniversary and holiday season fast approaching i believe that this begging problem come to rise.And this forum can do its share in informing visitor of being careful of who are they giving their money or it is worth giving them.
    I grow up in a huge family 15 in all as my father keep adopting and picking children on the neighborhood when he knows that they are being used to beg of do the hard farm labour.He will talk tto the child parents and ask their permission to take the child from them and live with us so that the child can go to school. My father does'nt promise anything just ,that the child will be send to school together with us his own children.Most of them finish hi-school and went on their own to take vocational as my dad can't afford for their college, and their are some that no matter how hard you try to help them wont help themself.Now ,those children that my dad help are now helping their family and relatives to school. We were poor that time even until now, but we were rich , of all the sweet memories of my childhood.Honestly, i was so mad at my dad in bringing extra children at home but after a while we get used to it.
    In my experciened i believe , all that someone can do is a little time to know the child where they came from and why they do it. Because , when you start being personally involve in asking them personal question and they dont what to answer you they are the one that will run away from you as fast as they can trust me.
    Here in quebec,In montreal ,a few years ago their is this guy that begging all his life as they know him dead , and they found out that he has a million Dollars deposited in a bank. What you think he got that million buck?
    I just to wonder sometimes how can this people are so smart and then no respect at all to their fellows. maybe its us who give that does'nt show respect to them when we just throw or money to them instead of talking to them and ask what they need.Hopefully , as the holiday season come many of us will think hard where our money or help goes. Think of this person tomorrow not just of the moment.Thanks!

9. eddy

eddy DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I will always remember a experience I had in phuket thailand, I was sitting at a cafe having breakfast, half awake, when suddenly this man like a vision from the worst horror film you can imagine sits opposite me, with arms bent in impossible angles, face contorted and with a foaming mouth, he puts his hand in front of my face, I fell off the chair in shock!! when I recovered I gave him 100 baht , not a experience you want with your buttered crumpet!!

10. Melvin Tinklehopper

Melvin Tinklehopper Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There but for the grace of God go I

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.