Dumaguete Info Search

Beggng On The Streets Of Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by earlmj, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ViperACR

ViperACR DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is Lee Plaza still selling what appear to used/donated children's books?

2. Chuck the Canuck

Chuck the Canuck DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They were selling books of all sorts as of April last year, when I left. More recent info might be forthcoming.

3. Mam A

Mam A DI Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    The beggars--badjaws or not, they can be irritating and oftentimes insulting. Oh yes, they poke you until you give so to drive them away. And yes, I've responded in this manner quite a few times. Standing in line at the pharmacy is now the last thing I'd do--I send someone else to buy my meds. AND my kind errand person tells me the same problem. Wonder what the solution would be??? The situation is getting uglier everyday, I hear. Good thing they don't seem to be hovering at bank doors! Or are they?

4. wretched_hyena

wretched_hyena DI Member

Artist
    Ratings:
    +6 / 7
    I had thought of protecting myself from them with a water gun. But how about this? It wouldn't last long becasue they would catch on, but for about a week, this might be good. Make up some "tickets" on a copy machine that say something like, "I will not give money to your children. If you are begging, I may give, but they should be playing or going to school. You should be ashamed for using them and sending them out to do your begging." Give it to the kids and let them take the note back to their parents. I know it won't have a big impact, but you never know if maybe one person will heed the advice.

5. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Downtown, the Badjaw are for me easily ignored. But sometimes I can't help but get anoyed when they acost you at the Caltex station when your trying to get gas. I wondered out loud why they where allowed on the property and why the management didn't expel them. My wife is convinced they are "well connected", and when I Forcfeully told one to go back to mindinao, she scolded me to be careful. Don't have a clue whether this has any truth to it, but might explian why they are tolerated.

6. ZambeziKid

ZambeziKid DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I suppose you can look at the bright side - poverty/wealth inequalities and guns inevitably leads to violent crime. I don't think DMGT suffers from that yet does it?

I wonder if there are any laws in Phils to stop children begging? (leaving under age unattended, minimum age for soliciting, actual laws on begging etc).

Would be quite amusing if the penalty imposed upon them was a fine payable to the police. :D

7. loftyone

loftyone DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Hey Zambezi

Who's that guy in the springbok jumper....Osama ? Monty Panasar ? Cat Stevens ?

8. ZambeziKid

ZambeziKid DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It's Osama BL, Loftyone.

Last time I tried answering this question, I had my post removed. It seems that the forum moderators/owners don't want posts on this forum that they don't agree with.

So if you'd like to know what the Avatar is about, you'll just have to send me a PM. :smile:

BTW: you seen Hashim Amla play cricket for the Proteas yet?!

Hope to hear from you! ...

9. loftyone

loftyone DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Hi Zambezi

I wish you had him on the wing instead of Habana.

Saffas and windies are playing a test right now. I have seen Amla against the kiwis but i'm not sure if he's playing in this one. Your boys are in a bit of trouble 160/6 a few minutes ago chasing 400 odd.

Are you in Dumaguete for an extended stay ? I noticed you were copping some flak on a thread a while back for expresssing your opinion.

cheers

lofty

10. ZambeziKid

ZambeziKid DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi Lofty,

Do you mean you wish we had OBL or Amla on the wing? :D

Yes, I am sat watching the test right now... a bit of a fight back, but I'm holding out for a draw! ... and rain! Good job it's a 3-test series, and this is SA, so the good weather means we should have 3 completed games to get results in.

Yes, Amla is in the test side. He doesn't play in the ODIs cos he bats too slow (a good sign of a great test player if you ask me). He is an extremely committed person - both in his religion and in his game - he's the kind of player you need to bat thru and save the game on the final day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.