Dumaguete Info Search

Best and worst area to live in the Dumaguete area

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by tbevan, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    LOL...even to Forest Camp would have been ten minutes max. If it takes you longer than that, get the driver to use the pedals....Forest Camp....thank god they weren't manning the entrance so we didn't have to pay to see artificial simulated jungle....the falls were ok though...

La Carlota - Negros Occ.....about 700 meters up (much higher than Valencia's altitude).....may not feel like it because it's a very gradual climb from the coast....go there once or twice a year - it's my wife's birthplace and we have a lot of family there. And it has considerably more to see and do than Valencia......

2. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

I don't know how to tell you guys this so that you might understand it, from downtown Dumaguete to Valencia proper is just short of 10 KM. At an average speed of 60 KM per hour, anyone with some basic mathematical skills can tell you it would take 10 minutes at 60 KPH per hour.

Show me a local normal tricycle that can average 60 KPH from downtown Duma to Valencia proper.

As I said, must be some tricycle! Is it turbo prop?

Larry

3. garbonzo

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Next time I'll bring a stopwatch....maybe I'll jog it too - it aint that far...LOL...point is - I didn't get any sense of where Dumaguete stopped and Valencia begins....just a northern suburb in my opinion rather than a separate entity...We expected some nice cool picturesque town further up in the mountains....it isn't...

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Valencia proper is at the lower end of Valencia as a whole. Valencia is one of the largest municipalities in the Philippines, and also one of the wealthiest. At km 7 or so coming from Dumaguete, there is a huge white sign on the right hand side of the road that reads, "Welcome to Valencia". It is pretty hard to miss, but some people seem to miss a lot. From this sign you can be in Valencia proper in 5 minutes by tricycle.

I have traveled this road an average of 6 times per week over the last 4 years on my Honda XRM. By passing everything on the road, I can make the trip to or from downtown Duma in 10 minutes.

Believe me, that is hauling a**.

Larry in Valencia

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Also Valencia is south and west of dumaguete, not north. maybe you were in Sibulan?

Larry

6. Don

Don DI Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 1
    Just wondering.....why does everyone seem to only visit Valencia or go down to Bacong /Dauin??? Two years ago I found the prices in each of those areas were waaaaayyyyyyy out of line with "fair market value"....and many lots had questionable titles or no proven "right-of-way" axcess.
    \Use your heads - and go the other way up the National Hiway (North Road).....go past Sibulan, San Jose.....visit Amlan! Property here is MUCH less expensive, the town is very favorable to foriegners, and IT IS VERY SAFE!

When the North Rd. is finished being concreted, this place will only be a easy half hour drive into Duma - yet you will be far away from the noise/pollution/zllions of tricycles/etc.etc...save some hard earned dough and check out my area...might even sell you my extra 2,500 sm2 if you offer me Bacong/Dauin figures!
    I'm on Silab Rd which goes up = elivation= COOLER temps; we have great views of Tanon Straight, Cebu, Negros coastline, misty covered mountains.....you guys don't know what you have missed!! Cheers!ROTFLMAO

7. garbonzo

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    LOL....Larry you are right...it felt like going north for some reason..must have been the cool weather disoriented me....anyway took the liberty of measuring it off on a map....downtown Dumaguete to 'downtown' Valencia....7.5km......but maybe it was Sibulan LOL....after wandering around 'Valencia' we turned right to Forest Camp....the second trip we did a brief tour around a bit of up-market neighbourhoods.

8. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    LOL. Going by the markers put up by DPWH, 7.5 will get you just past the vice mayors house (where it smells like chickenpoo) Maybe you should contact DPWH and tell them they don't know how far a KM is!

Larry

9. aying

aying DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Think about it garbonzo, you "measured" the distance using a map. You probably drew a straight line.

I guess shadow was mentioning the fact that the reference he is using is the road distance.

P.S. Next time home, I'll bring my meter stick and altimeter too... :wink:

And La Carlota City Proper is humid! You probably are referring to the outskirts of the city. Worked for a couple of years around that area(Canlaon, La Carlota, Binalbagan, Himamaylan, Bago, Maao).

So yes, I can compare.

10. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

Well then maybe he also times the trike trip using a calendar!

LOL

Larry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.