Dumaguete Info Search

Best hospital?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by oceanpet, Dec 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oceanpet

oceanpet DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi!
    I am new in Dumaguete and have yet to go to the hospital (hope it stays that way...) but when I have to go, I want to know which one to pick! I also have a baby so all info on hospitals/pediatrics would come in handy. I have been told Holy Child is the best, but what do you think?

2. India-One

India-One DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Hi oceanpet,

i would always recommend SUMC,good doctors(any discipline) are there.

3. kewl:)

kewl:) DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I dont know which one is the best. But i like SUMC more.

4. OP
    OP
    oceanpet

oceanpet DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you both! Excuse my ignorance, but what does SUMC stand for and where is it?

5. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Silliman Univ. Med. Center

My daughter was born there .... not quite up to Cebu Doctor's hosp. standards but definately better than the provential hospital.... I dont really know much about holy child

6. archon_manofsteel

archon_manofsteel DI Forum Adept Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Blood Type:
    B+
    I would recommend SUMC also. Lots of good doctors too.

7. AsianprincesS

AsianprincesS DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good to know :cool:

Thank you all!

JC :wink:

8. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Could never compare the SUMC and the NOPH even at the slightest difference (Neg Or.Provincial hospital),the provincial hospital is rock bottom in standards ,it stinks there with dodgy hygiene.Take it from my nurse friend who worked their years ago, they recycled the gloves,washed them after use hang 'em and just put talc when dry, geeeez's where does it go for next use for bottom inspection or for the dentist ? Knowing that i cringed,can't believe that .Perhaps still the practice to this very day and just a tip of the iceberg .Added to that they probably are connecting tentacles of pharmaceutical trials ,because they prescribe patients more cocktails of medicines than they needed,patient perceived like guinea pigs .

I have something not sure about SUMC though but perhaps just some paranoia . But one thing,that's where SU student nurses get hands on training , I was once with them but didn't continue ,I just don't like trainee nurses dealing with me either as a patient (even under supervision) or now even intern doctors flooding in.Between SUMC and Holy Child ,prefer the latter .Doctors there are relatively good some even move from St Lukes and have new fascilities in place.It's where I had my first baby too and my mother's mastectomy and cancer treatment done at Holy Child. The two are comparatively the same but prefer the HC.For ultra serious condition and treatment in which life is hanging on a string ( life and death ) better go for the best hospital in Manila or abroad .

9. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Silliman University Medical Center and Holy Child share some doctors. Nursing students are who will help take care of you, in either place. There are 7+ - schools here, most of which are churning out nursing students who have to do their practicums somewhere. The best nurses have gone abroad, thats why you see mostly younger nurses here in either hospital.

The care here in General is OK for minor and emergency care. If you have a serious chronic condition, or are choosey about who will diagnose your case, go to Chung Hua in Cebu. or similar in Manila.

I have found some outstanding doctors here, others are not so good, to ask which hospital is better begs the question, which doctor will see you.

I have been to both SUMC and HolyChild. Holy Child is much more expensive and the parts I have seen are relatively clean, SUMC has some not so clean wards, but I have not seen all parts of both hospitals.

If you have an existing condition, ask around and see if you can get a solid reccomendation from a trusted source on who might best help you.

If your level of care and sanitation expectation is for Western standards, you will not find that here.

10. j.adalia

j.adalia DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My two cents. There ARE student nurses in HC (my sister-in-law was once assigned there on her 2nd or 3rd year of school) so don't even think that this is only applicable to SUMC.

You can check out both hospitals and you will realize that SUMC is superior in hygiene (plus the smell of the whole hospital is fresh, mind you), staff and just about everything. Plus HC charges way more than SUMC even though their service is not really better than SUMC.

You can go check out the rooms of both hospitals and you will realize that SUMC has airy and spacious (better) rooms.

:smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.