Dumaguete Info Search

Best hospital?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by oceanpet, Dec 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    now I am in trouble...

Nah I am not as i put the "international medical standard" in Dumaguete to the same category as "Robinson soon to open". Why? since before x-mas we dealing with several doctors Visayan-wide to get a simple letter about a medical problem to help a kid to live 20 - 30 years longer (I won't go into details) but that is just ridiculous.

Than I see this prestigous building and with it the Millions going into pockets from where they never appear again, but in another Hospital in Dumaguete is a Hyperbaric Chamber since 1.5 years where a view steelpipes and valves woud be needed to make it fully functional.

FYI,a hyperbaric chamber is for many different treatments, not only diving related accidents. starting from tinnitus, diabetss mellitus to serious burns, problematic wound treatment, circulatory problems and much more....

It can be run by trained operators (and I know many volunteers in Duma). A couple of thousand dollar investment instead of a fancy building and it would be running since over a year.

2. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1

3. Mam A

Mam A DI Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Now I know I've been missing out on a lot and that I've stayed away too long! Will need to sit and read tonight! I like this thread but I am only on the last page. Waiting till tonight to read from the roots and I hope no interruptions. And so having mentioned the cue word "interruptions", the gasul guy arrived ...etc. anyways, till tonight I guess. Lunch for now. It feels great to be back!:smile:

4. Mam A

Mam A DI Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    OK, Never Mind and thanks.

That's one line to mean so many. Hospitals in Dumaguete City or DC are wholistically inadequate. We have great doctors still in DC who have opted to continue their practice here but they are overloaded. These doctors are overworked. We have lost many of our doctors who have trained to become nurses so they could leave for overseas work. Sad. Real. Kudos to the ones who have voted to stay and serve.

OTOH...

Bumrungrad, yes. Phuket, yes. For heavier emergencies if your patient can still make it, go to Cebu or Manila. But then...It's the doctor, not the hospital. The doctors make the hospital, at least I believe so. However, when doctors are overloaded and overtired, they really can't do much that would be effective or effective. My two cents on this one. As a retiree with limited movements, I would brave it out to keep the good ones who are still here in mind. Otherwise, it's simply difficult.

No, there are no standards. What standards? I like the database idea which might just be a jiffy of a job since there are not many good ones left here.

I must mention too that when having your treatment here, you may have to be satisfied with the closest match [between specialization and your illness] that you can get.

I am so glad that this thread has survived this long. This is such an important thread--whether for venting or for some useful info. Thanks so much for the honesty. It's so refreshing.

5. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    The problem with the database is in general that they are very personal recommendations and experiences. My dentist did a great Job with me but is not able to finish a job with Rechel since over 2 years, so can I recommend him ???
    from my own experience: absolutely !!!
    from what I know : definitely not (unless I wanna pxxx off another DI member)
    The good point is now that I can send my teeth with Rechel when I need something done on them and can wait and work at home untill they return... hehe

Anyway, we have a content site with several important phone-numbers (yes there are about 500 of them next to the forum) which will be updated by the end of the week. But most numbers are still valid anyway. If you have any "must go on"-numbers please inform me via PM or mail to rhoody@dumagueteinfo.com

here is the link to the old one: http://www.dumagueteinfo.com/emergency-numbers.php

cheers

Rhoody

6. culumbinus

culumbinus DI Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 20

just stay healthy.

i have personal objective and subjective experiences with both hospitals. they are just buildings to me. you may consider them but only because there is nothing else. provincial hospital is out of the question. as far as local doctors, they go to all three hospitals. are they good? let me put it this way, i have seen seven of the supposedly best here, they all missed my condition! now that's very subjective. let us be objective, there is always the possibility you may find a good one to your needs.

for being a sillimanian...i recommend SMC to you. that is Silliman Medical Center. they dropped sumc sometime ago. holy child hospital charges more than smc. maybe because hc is backed by local chinese business. again, both are "good", for lack of something else.

7. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    . holy child hospital charges more than smc. maybe because hc is backed by local chinese business. again, both are "good", for lack of something else.[/QUOTE]
    Well the owners gotta get there money back from Legacy bank somehow or should I say some of my money back that I well let's just say donated indirectly to them

8. Union Jack

Union Jack DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    Medicare cover

Hello all, any feedback about medicare cover or health insurance policies available to expats in the Philippines?
    How do expats who have settled in Duma cope with their medical bills?
    Is there a medicare insurance policy in place, just in case, what is the cover offered and how long for......I normally take a travel insurance covering medical costs when travelling to the Phils, but that only works short term, so what if I was to retire in the Phils? This is addressed to european expats as I believe arrangments differs for US expacts....:smile:

9. nead

nead DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    SILLIMAN UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2nd Floor Hallway
    [​IMG]

The hospital's atrium / lobby with the imposing skylight ceiling.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    For minor illnesses maybe you can trust the local hospitals, but for major health problems, I agree with one of the posters here that it is better to go to Cebu or Manila especially if involves surgery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.