Dumaguete Info Search

Best University in Negros Oriental?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by Manzanita, Sep 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. permres

permres DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Our child's 2nd year at Silliman and, although I can't say it is the "best" school, I think it is about par for what you are going to get here. I will say that we are all given "free will" and we choose who to be friends with in our lifetimes. If your child is getting an attitude, you cannot blame that on the school, rather on your own child's choices and values being instilled at home. Our child has great friends, none of which have a "holier than thou" attitude, and seem to be very good friends to have. Our child does not like, never has (even before we moved to the Philippines), snotty, spoiled kids and despises bullies, so has chosen friends that are not in those categories (and there are plenty of really good, nice kids at Silliman) . I am not defending Silliman, because like I mentioned, I don't think it is any better than any of the other schools....but, I just don't think you can blame your child's choice of kids to hang around with on the school. Good-luck to you.

2. dodong

dodong DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Silliman attracts spoiled kids because it's the most expensive school here, and it has the best reputation. If your primary concern is the attitudes of her classmates, then I would recommend NORSU. They seriously abuse their students there. All schools here abuse their students to some extent, but NORSU specializes in it. Lines so long that even Filipinos work them in shifts, more time spent trying to get grades released than time spent studying, 6 months or even a year to get transcripts of records released, etc. If you're a student at NORSU there's no room for any pretensions. You're treated like dirt from day 1. That being said, I've heard that some of their courses are acceptably good by Dumaguete standards.

3. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    It appears the majority of local politicians and lawyers are Silliman alumni. What does that say, not sure...... but there is a clique.

4. Constant Craving

Constant Craving Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No school is going to do much good for a student that doesn't study etc. So it could be a roll of the dice anywhere you go.

The SU grads I know are coming back from the West to settle here in retirememt are not from high level Dgte families.

Myself, I rather have my kids in school with kids from successful families hoping some of it will rub off, than at just any school that will hand them a degree.

You never know as a parent whether a smart aleck 16yo is going to be a genius or in jail. But you have to let them grow.

5. dancingrabbit

dancingrabbit DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When a child drops something...there is something to be said..to continually pick it for them. This is where it begins.

6. conhs75

conhs75 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    my input here is..Silliman or Not Silliman,it depends on the individual,how they carry themselves,attitude i believe is inborn..which some try to change but time comes " the natural "comes out...im a Sillimanian since Kinder years,not from the elite either,but tried to finish and get education and deep in my heart SU gave me that education...

7. UncleFatBloke

UncleFatBloke DI Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Sentence structure and punctuation were not in the curriculum then? :D:rolleyes:

8. conhs75

conhs75 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hey!!! i guess not..so you edit it..if you want....

9. OP
    OP
    Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Bulls-eye and 3 points!

10. kewl:)

kewl:) DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    probably if you know that in the philippines there is no child care unlike in the US. you can beat your child to let them know who is in charge. Police dont mind it either. but truly i wont suggest it. just a few words to think of....:smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.