Dumaguete Info Search

Beware the Tukaw gecko!

Discussion in '☋ Tourist Information ☋' started by Marky, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Normally creatures of the wild, t'kos and t'kis have learned to cohabitate with humans for its benefits in terms of shelter (both, from the elements and their natrual enemies, the snake, owl, and other predators of the wild), and easy access to food (t'kis eat cooked rice among other things).

Though relatively harmless, t'kos have been known to cause serious injury to many an unsuspecting coconut tree climbing "too-BAH" harvester, by way of a fall.

2. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    :D then they'll have to fall on you again.

3. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I had a tiki drop off the celing onto my lap while I was singing karaoke
    wonder if it was an editorial comment on my singing abilities...
    I dont mind the noises either makes... i dont like their crap though...
    my sister in law was bit by a tuko when she was 8 - learned its not a good idea to grab them -
    it would have scared me to have a tuko drop suddenly on my lap !

4. Cyndi

Cyndi DI Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I heard that a bunch of volunteers got real sick because pots of water would be boiled but then left out uncovered to cool off. The water got contaminated by the tuko droppings that fell inside the water pots which made them all sick.

5. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Not so bad at all !!

The Tokay ( English) , same name as a prestigious wine from Europe is notsuch a mad guy at all. Remember this they are GREAT in killing your pests such as MICE and IPIS . We have several in the house , though they prefer to stay on the outerwalls. Just igore them , and you will be amazed what good they can do for you .
    They are NOT Poisinous , by far , though their teeth are razor sharp since they feed on things I have putted here and above ..
    ONLY THE MALES produce sound.. so you might have more in the house then you can hear.

In Indonesia they turn them into a LIfe Elixer , by putting them alive !! into a jar with alcohol .
    Sad enough it is even sold in Europe where II came across a bottle of the stuff.

Attached Files:

6. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I 6though the noise it made was GECKO hence its name.
    no problem they are our friends as they eat mosquiotos and other insect and vermin scum like that
    only thing is after leaving my house for a while when i come back it is covered in gecko poo. I wish they would learn some basic toilet manners and crap outside
    my house sometimes looks like its the local gecko crapper

7. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    The ark of Noach

Well , let me tell you then we also have plenty of bats at our house , several families of Swifts flying with jetdriven speed THROUGH our living room leaving either to the beach or the front garden and I am very sure I have forgotten one or two more creatures of God..
    Trust me it makes our live richer then living in a concrete condo in Makati City :wink:

8. progmeister

progmeister DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    One fell onto my arm once and it felt cold. I wasn't even 10 yrs old then and it scared the crap out of me, until now I can't go near one but thanks for posting the pictures the tuko guys. You know, reading all your posts makes me really homesick. :(

9. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    I just love the banter...Wanted dead or alive the spotted Tuko or is that Tukaw? anyway keep the door shut next time...have a nice day

10. ritz

ritz DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i am going home in two months and i know we have a tuko in the kitchen. according to my brother it is probably a foot long by now. its been in there for over five years.
    If anyone knows how to dispose of these scary creatures, please share your trick. I am thinking of hiring somebody to dispose our toku.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.