Dumaguete Info Search

Big Bikes In Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Gold Surfer, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Johnboy,

That bike in the Uk is awesome. That would probably be an interest for alot in PI wouldn't it? It could be an interesting market to start up...converting vehicles to these kind of bikes? An air cooled engine in this type of setup and the ease with working on a VW engine would be excellent.

2. Travel Time

Travel Time DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cebu motorcycling not the same as in Dgte? Could be..I rode maybe 8000km in and around Cebu City, and another 6000km or so in and around Dgte.. I don't recall an absolute difference. If anything I seem to recall Dgte as being safer.

Twice in Cebu I almost got it when stopped with my turn signal on to make a left turn off of S Hwy. Traffic behind me thought nothing of passing me in the oncoming lane as I was stopped. It was just luck I didn't start my turn as they went around me.

3. ReBelBiKeR

ReBelBiKeR DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    funny though... locals supposedly should know the language of the streets of dumaguete -- the eye contact, the body language of the motorcycles, etc., but you know what? most of the accidents involve the locals themselves!

about big bikes, whats the fastest and most enjoyable speeds could you travel with these big machines? most ive seen are the yamaha 400cc sportbikes, and occasional harleys.

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Thank you ... :wink:

5. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Most of the accidents here involve tricycles or drunk motorcycle drivers.
    And at that I don't see very many.

A few expats and locals enjoy riding 400cc plus size bikes here, for me it is a waste, there just are not enough good roads to take advantage of their capabilities. You have two choices National highway north or south. Around town they are a liability. I prefer to go into the mountains on occasion, an all around bike at 150cc works fine, they are cheap, you don't have to worry about scratching it or getting bumped.

I borrowed a Suzuki 600cc Katana for a day ayearor so ago. Yes it was great fun on the highway, but yikes man, dangerous to go 120KPH with all the slow traffic, dogs and ignorant pedesdrians. Around town it just overheated in the traffic, tooling around in second gear is not my idea of fun.

I have a 150cc Chinese bike now, I changed the gearing so I can cruise at 110 if I want or climb up to the Japanese Shrine in low gear. Practical...

Now if I could afford two bikes... a different story perhaps

6. blackline

blackline DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Hello guys. I know that if I was living in DGTE now I sure would have a Big Bike.
    In norway I have had my Yamaha FJ 1100 for 23 years now. Kapable of 260 kmh, but highest speed limit here is 90 kmh.Half year season and 60 days without rain pr year max. So a good reason for avoyding riding a big bike in Dgte i dont have.But type of bike would be different than in my place here. Probably something like on this photo. Yes a VMax. This is owned by a friend in DGTE. Well at least owned last time we spoke.

Attached Files:

7. 2blackbelts

2blackbelts DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    big bikes...

That, is a great looking Max ! Unfortunately, at 6'4", 260 lbs, I just can't fit on, or ride bikes of that style. I need a larger, more stretched out ride such as my custom Harley or Indian. The smaller underbones and scooters are just too small.

I'm still debating on what bike, if any, to bring over.

2 blackbelts

8. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Agreed one of the nicer looking V max's i've seen, but those things are ugly man. They seem to be very popular here in the Phils, perhaps the gaudy look is appealing. They handle like sh*t, are very top heavy. And as Yama Harleys' go not the best looking by far. The V Star has a more traditional cruiser look. If you like that kind of thing.

now you might think this thing is ugly as well, but barring cost, it is the hands down best bike for the Philippines, given the roads and lack there of.
    BMW R 1200 GS
    Completely tunable suspension for off on road riding, practical. And not too shabby as a status symbol.

Attached Files:

9. loftyone

loftyone DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    RHB - I think that is the same model BM I rode in New Zealand last year. If it is, the seat is very high. I'm 5' 10" and could only just touch the ground. But apart from that it handled really well on rough roads. I reckon a low-slung low-revving armchair on wheels like a Suzi Boulevard or similar would be great around Dumaguete for an old bloke like me. You are a braver man than me riding a Suzi Katana at speed on those roads.

cheers

lofty

10. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Yeah, most off road bikes sit tall, I get a kick out of a Filipino friend of mine who rides a 350cc off road X bike, he is very small, and when he comes to a stop he has to kinda fall off it.

I have to say when I rode the Katana I was initially thinking with my 25 year old brain, after tooling around for a while, my 60 year old body started talking. Going on the south road past Dauin, the road opens up a little, and the road past Siaton to Bayawan has some excellent winding areas.

I also test rode a Virago 750cc, It was actually better suited to me at my age, didn't handle too bad, but it was a Virago with all the Virago problems. Decided I didn't want a headache bike.
    Used big bikes here in Dumaguete are most often old, under maintained, and abused, and over priced. Take note. Best to go to manila if you can afford the expense.

Ultimately I decided I been there done that with powerful bikes, and opted for a new small bike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.