Dumaguete Info Search

Biting ants??

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by reedee, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Lots of great suggestions. Perhaps you just need to step on them but the anteater sounded the best.

2. hsemitara

hsemitara DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    the other day i took a shower went to dry off later i felt stinging i never checked the towel it had those red ants ontop of it! i got stung like 10 times hurt for a while and went away but gosh be sure to check ur towel before u dry off!

3. OP
    OP
    reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    towels

mosquitos like to hide in those towels, too!!:mad:

4. Panday Pera

Panday Pera DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    You said you are being bitten when you are asleep. Have you actually seen the ants biting you? If not then I suggest you consider other possibilities....like probably bedbugs.

Ants normally target food sources. I don't think humans are in their menu, unless you are really very sweet. Usually, humans are just incidental victims of ants. But bedbugs... we are the main course as well as the desert.

5. OP
    OP
    reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    yes, I actually have!!

Yes, as a matter of fact, a very tiny red ant was on my arm and as I saw it I immediately experienced a very sharp bite from the booger!! I flicked it off very quickly, but within seconds a red whelp was already forming!! I have decided that I am allergic to these bites!! We are sleeping on air mattresses on the floor, no bed bugs (however I do get ants crawling on the mattresses, but, definitely could be mosquitos getting me in the middle of the night as well as these ants that I end up flicking off of me!! Guess I must be very sweet, as you mentioned!! They don't seem to bother my daughter or husband. At any rate....as soon as we move into our permanent home, we are taking drastic measures against these critters!! I will be using an exterminator, pouring boric acid around the house, using those rubber seals that attach at the bottom of the doors, and I have heard rosemary plants are very good against mosquitos, so will be having those sitting around as well!!

6. Panday Pera

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    I was half kidding when I said "unless you are very sweet". People with diabetes may have a sweet smell and some diabetics reports that their sweat is sweet tasting. Could this be what is attracting the ants to you and not to your daughter or husband? You don't need to answer that. Just FYI.

7. OP
    OP
    reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    nope

Even if I were diabetic, there has never been any scientific data that proved that diabetics secrete sugar through their skin, and sweat is only composed of water and minerals. Diabetics not under control will have higher glucose levels in their bloodstream, and I suppose if mosquitos and ants can detect that, perhaps they could be attracted to them, but I don't think they have ever been able to prove that theory either. A more believable theory is that each one of our bodies do emit different odors, chemicals, and hormones, which different insects, or even animals, are either attracted to or detracted from. I am probably fortunate enough to emit some kind of chemical or hormone that the ants like. My daughter attracts mosquitos more than I do, so she probably has a different chemical/hormone combination that they prefer.:smile:

8. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    More years ago than I care to admit, I was in the Borneo jungle with the Gurkhas. Our mozzie repellant was to rub our skin with a mixture of Gurkha rum and sand. When the mozzies landed on us they got so drunk they killed themselves by throwing rocks at each other !!!!! :D

9. OP
    OP
    reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    mozzies

That is TOO funny!!!:D:D:D

10. Panday Pera

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    The sweet smell of diabetics is probably from the ketones in their breath (poorly controlled diabetics). I don't think their sweat is really sugary, although I've never tasted it, but some do report the sweet taste. I think they are tasting their breath.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.