Dumaguete Info Search

Biting ants??

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by reedee, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OP
    OP
    reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    ketones in breath

That could be. Mosquitos are drawn to C02 we exhale, so there could be some rationale to the ketone theory.............

2. Panday Pera

Panday Pera DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Here is some organic solution to your ant problem. Have not tried it myself so I'll let you do the experimenting. Let us know if it works. Maybe this only works for Ants in the western hemisphere. Ants in asia may have adopted to this digestive problem. May be worth a try though...

How to Kill Ants with Cornmeal | eHow.com

or

Ant Trap

We are often plagued with ants in the Spring time as well around here. We have various
    sorts of carpenter and sugar ants. This little concoction does the trick! Last year we had huge carpenter ants all around our kitchen. Many were coming out of our electrical saukets in our kitchen. We were blown away by how quickly they were eradicated with this recipe.

1 tsp. borax (borax is an natural laundry boosting powder available in the laundry section of the store, normally on the top shelf)
    2 cups hot water
    6 Tbsp sugar
    folded paper towel
    small shallow cup (like a creme burlee dish)

Disolve borax in hot water. Stir in sugar. Dip the folded paper towel, using tongs, in the solution till completely saturated with solution. Cram the paper towel in the dish. Place in location where you have seen the ants. This solution will be eaten by the ants and taken back to the nest to share with the other ants and thus eradicate the entire nest. Keep away from children by placing on a countertop or cupboard, if possible.

3. OP
    OP
    reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    ant killers

Thanks for the info!! Would LOVE to try the cornmeal trick, but I have not a clue where to get cornmeal here in Dumaguete......has anyone seen any, maybe at the outdoor markets? I am also wondering if they actually sell it as feed at the veterinarian supply shops? I am wanting cornmeal to cook with....I am hoping to locate some in Cebu. I will definitely do the borax thing, I think that is main ingredient in the Terro I have been using with some success.

4. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Handyman has Terro ant bait now! Works great! 4 traps and 5 days later they are down from a horde to VERY few! Finally!

5. OP
    OP
    reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Terro

Yep, I have been using them for a month already and has helped the ant population tremendously, although I am still getting bitten. I wish they could make these traps a little less messy, as they leaked all over the floor (maybe it was how I cut them?), I will try cutting them differently next time. I have also learned that when I start to see the ants lining up coming in the door, it is time to use the ant chalk, that helps, too. I brought some of the "normal" ant baits from the states, but used them all up. Will be stocking up next time I go....gotta start my list............

6. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    The Terro and baits have a "this end up" warning to keep you from spilling them. Cut the opening so it makes a smooth ant ramp, then after cutting always hold that end up and place it level or that end slightly up also. My wife made the same mistake when she picked the 1st one I set up and dripped out all the bait! Raid ant spray (Lee Plaza) sprayed around the doors and windows keeps them out!

Last but not least be sure and place a [​IMG] sign over the entrance to each ant bait station! :

7. SLK

SLK DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The only thing we have found is Tero ant killer available at Handyman in Robinson's Mall. You have to keep poisons out wherever you see ant lines. I too have been bitten in the eye twice, lips resulting in swelling and numbness for days...beware, they like towels! Good luck, we feel your pain. It is a constant battle.

8. bounty98

bounty98 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i have found vinegar to be effective in keeping ants at bay. Mix half vinegar and half water in your spray bottle. Spray it liberally on ant trails and in corners and cracks, keep it up every few days. it works and you do not have to have poisons sitting around

9. Brucewayne

Brucewayne DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    We had the same problem.
    We finally settled on mopping the floors regularly then rinsing with bleach water afterwards, we even wash the counters and bathroom with strong bleach water and ants, flies, mosquitoes, etc. are basically not seen anywhere in here anymore.

10. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    boric acid up date:

sntmig...
    unbelievable but true... i was in lee plaza today looking for boric acid in the spices and couldn't find it so i asked an employee who asked an employee, who passed it on to several other employees ( i know what you're thinking : ) one of which who asked me to write it down for him. i wrote, he looked at it and told me to wait. he came back in a minute with a bag of *borax,* i asked him to show me where he got it and he took me to *another* spice section by the coolers, sorry i didn't get the isle #.

norm : ))~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.