Dumaguete Info Search

Biting ants??

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by reedee, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    As they say, location is everything! Please try and find out where they are hiding it exactly, and post it here, as many people have been trying to find it! Thanks! :D

2. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +675 / 92
    borax location in lee plaza grocery

with your back to the cashiers, the borax is located near the end of the far right side of gondola 23, the sign for which is labeled ''sugar and baking aids.'' (ignore all other signs) the borax looks like salt or white sugar and is displayed at about knee height in 4''x5'' flat clear plastic bags. take your magnifying glass and scan the fine print at the bottom of the bar code tag and you will see ''BORAX.'' the cost is p12...

normally, in order to type this message, i would be constantly wiping ants off of my keyboard and my *glasses* but simply amazing (to me), i made up a batch of borax/sugar ant bait late one afternoon and placed ''charged'' bottle caps (bait stations) around the outside of the house where i noticed a lot of ant traffic. the 1st morning after, 3 different kinds of ants where busy at the some but not all of the bait stations and i only had a few ants in the house, the 2nd morning after, the bait stations where all but abandoned and there were only a few scouts in the house.

my recipe follows:
    1 cup water
    ½ cup sugar
    1 teaspoon borax

i boiled the sugar and water down to make a thick syrup, removed the mix from the heat and stirred in the borax. then i spooned about ½ a bottle caps worth of the mix into several bottle caps and the mix turned to ''candy'' as it cooled. *DON'T* like the spoon...

i put the bait stations outside the house cuz i figured putting them in the house woulda attracted more ants into the house. i figure the ants working the inside of the house got word of the bait stations and went outside to join in the feast. end of story...

norm : ))~
    ~~~ still amazed that i haven't had an ant on my glasses for 2 days ~~~

3. Knowdafish

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Fantastic! Thanks for posting! :D

4. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +675 / 92
    ants, slugs and moats

while we're talking about dealing with ants, this might be of interest to some of our members.

i normally keep a bunch of fruit in the house on a free standing set of plastic shelves. i put a small plastic plant saucer of water under each leg to keep the ants off of the shelves (an ant moat : )

i also applied the moat idea to a garden bed when i lived in slugville (whatcom county, wa. usa)
    here's a foto < http://tinyurl.com/yh7p9ab > i can go into more details on the slugmoat if'n anyone's interested. it worked!!!

5. Knowdafish

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Sounds like a great idea! Beware Filipino ants that swim though!:D

6. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +675 / 92
    ¡¡¡swimming ants!!! are u serious? and i was worried about ant bridges...

7. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    depending on the species, but ants can survive up to 2 weeks under water.... without SCUBA

8. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Biting Aunts? My friend told me he is lucky, his wife's aunt doesn't bite. lol

9. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I am sure your friend would say the same,even if one or another aunt bites sweet once in a while...

10. guitarjohnjohn

guitarjohnjohn DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    best thing to kill ants= gas. pour a pint or two into their nest and that's it!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.