Dumaguete Info Search

Black out and generators

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by akis51, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    An important and cheap first step in dealing with brownouts is having a led torch.
    In unitop you can buy a rechargeble led torch for 70 pesos that will give light for more than 10 hours. Forget candles that may start a fire.

2. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Mine is an APC also. 750 watt. Works great! I have 4 brand new ones for sale for 5000P each which is a lot less than what you would pay for one in the U.S. They come with a 5 year world-wide warranty, and built in surge protection also. Some of the locally had Chinese ones do not last, the reason being the poor quality internal Chinese battery.

3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    :D firefly you are 100% correct. It is with great sadness I have to say we still need the candles, my lot can never remember to recharge the Torches we bought last year when the power comes back. Always something more important to do.:wink: love them to death BUT!:rolleyes:

Jack P.:smile:

( I am running out of hiding places for my torch, which is invariably dead when I want to use it!):(

4. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    It's a bit difficult to recharge torches when there is no power during a brown out !!!!!
    Try a wind up torch - 2 minutes of winding it gives about 45 minutes of light. Widely available in UK for about £4-00 (280 pesos).

5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    :confused: That's odd Broadside, I was sure, I said When the power comes back ON!
    Do you think clockwork Torches will take of Here in the PI :smile:

Jack P.:wink:

6. Broadside

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Which means that the torches have run down while the brown out is still in place. Then what. No torches, and no power to charge them until the brown out finishes, so stumble around in the dark, and then have to wait for the torches to recharge when the mains power is restored.

Re: wind up torch. It's not a clockwork torch, it's a torch with a built in hand generator, very small and compact. And yes, I do think they would take off in the PI if they were available. No batteries to worry about and instant led light. They are, after all, made in China so availability should not be a problem.

7. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    :smile:We have 6, 2 each + 2 spare 8 in Total. Enough for a Full day Brown out. If I am not at home as Now, they never get charged or maybe when someone remembers. There will always be issues on this subject so Now i just stick to candles if all goes wrong, ( That if someone remembers to buy more when needed ) Not too sure if any, of my household, will enjoy the winding up bit on the wind up Torches too much though BUT if you come across any let me know.:smile:

Always ready to look at alternatives.:wink:

Jack P. :smile:

8. Broadside

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    You're in Spain now. They are generally available throughout the EEC from any good quality hardware store, and in the UK from the major supermarkets also.

9. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    :D I am in Madrid Tomorrow, I guess I will have a look around, if they are to be found here, then they are sure to be in the Capitol I would think. :wink:

Jack P.:smile:

10. OP
    OP
    akis51

akis51 DI Junior Member

Pensioner
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Dear derivative Guru,

Thank you (and all friends) for the feed back. Where do you suggest to buy the generator and the UPS ? Cebu or Manila ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.