Dumaguete Info Search

Brit man Facing 7 years in rat infested filipino jail

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by pickled_newt, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benn

Benn DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There must be a law, otherwise the British man and his Filipina girlfriend would not be facing such harsh prison sentence. Seven years for having sex with a married woman! Whoever heard of such law---except maybe in very early times. I understand that each country has its own laws. But still, seven years for something like this, is inhumane. This is only my opinion.

2. Arie

Arie DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    this seems to me the most senseble post, just an exception where somebody crossed the wrong person.

Considering the current reality in the filipines this law seems outdated and catholic orthodox, the authorities should have the sense not to act on it anymore.

Some of the reactions here seem pretty over the top; I am pretty sure that many southern european catholic countries have or had untill recent similar laws but where pragmatic enough not to act on them. I am also pretty sure that the ones who aplaud the action are men who have been cheated on or fear it :wink:

3. Benn

Benn DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Such punishment is crazy. Catholic ideas seem to control a large portion of the Philippine society. A foreigner in a foreign country is easy prey, especially in a country that is controled by people with a 500 BC mindset.

4. Benn

Benn DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is a saying, "Birds of a feather flock together". Like-minded people think alike, and see no wrong in such inhuman justice.

5. anotherdane

anotherdane DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    crazy laws

Crazy lawn in a sick country to punish two peopel because they are in love
    leave them in peace.. they only want each other
    what is that for a rotten law system ??
    why dont the politicians change this ?? the influence of the church I guess
    they are sick most of the chatolic priests .are much worse.. can anyone help the poor britsh guy and hes philippine lady ?

6. Benn

Benn DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Only the British man is receiving the punishment. The woman isn't being punished, nor is the Filipino man. There seems to be a different standard for the foreigner, as contrasted to the local citizen. If a country wants success and financial growth, its laws must be fair to all people.

7. laviaomaha

laviaomaha DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    if you live in another country you need to respect their laws and you will not have problems the law is the law, even if you do think its correct, peace

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is true the law seems out of place in some countries, but if you think about it they are mostly all the same as anywhere else only much harsher. Some countries will go to great lengths to keep things in order.

Ever watch "Brokedown Palace" or "Return to Paradise?" Return to paradise is a long story but involves a man busted with 100 grams of hash or something, and in Malaysia that amount is considered trafficking and carries the death penalty. Later in the movie while in hearing the Malay judge spoke out about why the laws are so harsh, him saying that the streets are not drug infested and people arent strung out like they are in the US.

I guess in cases like this scare tactics and putting fear in the hearts of people they consider it a better solution to the United States war on drugs.

In any case as the above said, when your not in your own country you need to learn and respect the laws. If you dont, well you heard about the outcome of many.

9. blackline

blackline DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    The US war on drugs. You must be joking!

This effort is only to get "Cocaine Import Agency" as the one and only supplyer.To get the cash flow into the "right" hands.Just take a check on the "agency"s directors occupational expertise through up its history.

About The Philippino laws. They are made by lawyers to generate cash.
    All know that there is no problem to get a divorce if you are a rich person and willing to leave cash in the right "pockets".

10. babel-fish

babel-fish DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Davids okay and is now out of the country, he however can not come back to the Philippines.

David can be reach on david-barry-scott@hotmail.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.