Dumaguete Info Search

British Passports

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by Broadside, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    This information has recently been received from the British Embassy Manila in respect of a change in the system when applying for/renewing British passports.

With effect from the 18th August 2011, the Regional Passport Processing Centre (RPPC) in Hong Kong will process all applications made in this area. The passport will be printed in the UK and then sent directly to you.

For more information please visit:-

How to apply from The Philippines

Regards

Roger

2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    :wink: Mine is good till 2020, :eek: Not sure if I will need another but hope so, I wonder how many times, they will change the system during this time.
    Thank You for the Update, great to have Up-to date news on these things.:wink:

Jack P.:smile:

3. OP
    OP
    Broadside

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Jack, the system will probably stay as it is until something goes wrong. Then they will have "a re-appraisal" and tell us all that "lessons have been learnt".:D

Personally I don't like the system whereby the passport is sent direct to the applicant. That works very well in UK through the Royal Mail, but to send it across borders in an envelope is, in my opinion, folly. I know that previously passports were issued in bulk and reached their destination in a diplomatic bag. Diplomatic bags cannot be handled, inspected, opened or x-rayed. There is good security sense in that. But envelopes can be x-rayed and the contents made known. I foresee a lot of very valuable British passports never reaching the applicant, and it is likely that they could change hands for large sums of money on the black market.

But the decision to adopt this system was made in Whitehall, probably under the banner of "it saves money". The eternally unanswered question is "what do they do with the money they save"? :D

Roger

4. sirmoori

sirmoori DI Junior Member

Retiree
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Broadside

Roger,
    To clarify!!
    It is not very helpful telling us Brits that you are the new Warden without contact details etc.
    What is your contact number, email address?
    Having been here for 28 years, working for 25 and now retired I am very well aware of the British Embassy and it's reluctance to help British Expats. so I have made other arrangements, however an introduction to yourself would be helpful.

David

5. OP
    OP
    Broadside

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    David, you make a very valid point and I stand suitably chastised.

My intention was to let it be known that there had been a change of Wardens, and I used this Forum as one of the vehicles to do so. The Embassy provide business cards with my contact details on them, but as there is a handover/takeover taking place in Manila, there is a delay in getting them to me (no surprise there). In the absence of these cards and, having announced that I had assumed the duties, it was somewhat remiss of me to omit my contact details. So here goes :-

Cell phone 0947 465 3234
    e-mail broadsiderta@aol.com

I now live in Piapi, so I can get to most places in the city quickly if asked for, and I will endeavour to get as quickly as I can to other more far-flung parts of the province (including Bacong) !! Once the Embassy provide the calling cards, I will drop one off to you, suitably framed, one afternoon at your favourite "mess annexe".

Jai Mahakali, Ayo Gorkhali.

Roger

6. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Uk visa!

Hi Roger, Don't know if you can answer this or if anyone else may be able to. How long is it taking, for the issue of a Tourist Visa, for a Filipino to visit the UK? Single Man and single Lady, not connected!

Jack P.:smile:

7. OP
    OP
    Broadside

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Passports and visas are not really part of my remit, and I would normally direct you to the section of the Embassy website that deals with them. However, this is just general information, and I have extracted it from the UK Borders Agency website. A tourist would apply for a visa under the General Visitor category.

Service Standards. The Agency states that their target times for visa applications to be completed is as follows :-

90% within 3 weeks
    98% within 6 weeks
    100% within 12 weeks.

One week is defined as 5 working days.

Roger

8. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Roger, Thank You, I did realise, that it was not in your province but just thought I would try, great response and one I have come to expected from you.
    I will pass this on.

Jack P.:wink: