Dumaguete Info Search

Budget for Living in Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by tommyboy, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    An estimated 30 million Filipinos live on less than $1 a day according to some statistics. My wife experienced this for a while as a young girl. You learn to collect food from the land and hopefully buy some rice. Other things can be bartered for or traded for labor. Beyond that you rely on the kindness of others and hopefully someone in the family that can send a little money your way.

Yes.

2. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    it is getting more expensive due to this website etc promoting it to foreigners
    bank on 100,000 peso a month to live well and ward off inflation for net few years.

3. OP
    OP
    tommyboy

tommyboy DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    maybe yabs' comment is true ... in dumaguete, but in upcoming cities like bayawan ... it's not the same ...

timn8r is very correct in the experience i have and in what the fiancee told me ...

it's all bartering, bargaining, poverty and loans!

that's the way it is there for the regular people - poor people!

4. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Once again, it depends on the lifestyle you choose, but the point about inflation is something that shouldn't be overlooked. Right now inflation in PI is pretty high and chances are it won't remain so. Nevertheless, you may as well factor in 3% inflation per year for the rest of your life. Some years may be more, some may be less. It's an interesting exercise if you haven't done it. The numbers 20 years out may surprise you. If they do, just think back to what you were living on 20 years ago.

5. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    don't support websiytes like this promoting I would say
    it all has an effect
    again comes back to foreigners fouling own nest

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    sure we are responsible for that... and no matter how many times you repeat your pointless comments,

answer is given here and here

7. dumaguetelocal

dumaguetelocal DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    locals rent very cheap places, share simple food... but as you said, the locals live with less, maybe you can try living like the locals...

8. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Hi Tom,

It of course depends solely on your spending habits, if you are a creature of comfort and you want a big house, swimming pool,maid, driver etc then you are probably looking at $5000+ a month.

If you want a studio apartment in town and do your own cooking and cleaning you can manage on a lot less...

9. Teacher

Teacher DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Well well let me help you understand.

Yes, filipino are poor but they have a rich life. you can not think of Filipino's in the same way you think of westerner's or the life style. Beds are hot and the the floor is cool. all over asia people sleep on the floor this is something that can't be taught. life in the Philippines is relaxed it has it's problems like every where. the biggest problem is the thinking " worry about to today only" never seen to think about the future. yes, credit is a issue never thinking about paying because that is tomorrow. You could not come and completely change your life style. So you require more money to live. westerner life style is a imported way of life so with all imports so the cost is higher. Filipino's don't live the same way you do. So many westerners came here to live and fail at it. I know I was one of them.. I came with western thinking make things the way I want no problem...BUT it doesn't work. But Rhoody was right about you need 2,000 a month until you learn how to live relax no hurry on anything if you are just in a hammock it is cheap life. but we always like to be doing something so if you are always busy doing thinging it takes money.
    hope this helped.

10. shiba

shiba DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Well said, Teacher...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.