Dumaguete Info Search

Buglasan

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by RHB, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    First, let me say, I don't get out much :smile: , so May some of you know this already.
    Given that it was announced long ago on this board that the Buglasan festival was being changed from October to December, I found out some more info in the paper yesterday. Not only is the date changed, the venue is now located adjacent to the Hall of justice, not to be in the Capital area.

I was riding around in the afternoon, and decided to do a look see. Well... It is a very small site which apparently will become the future cultural and international visitor center. It appears to me to be less than 1/4 ready with what looks like permanent structures beeing built, not the city by city temporary exhibits fom before. I could be wrong on this.

It APPEARS to be a vastly scaled down affair from the looks of things.

2. OP
    OP
    RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    so apparently this one bombed, :rolleyes: no one cares tha the buglasan festival has been effectivly dismanteled by way of moving the date to Mid December and moving the venue to an obscure location half the size of the original? Never mind the construction is less than half completed even now.

3. ana_PH

ana_PH DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    oh, too bad.... when does it officially start? i heard that it has been moved to December but missed that part about being transferred near the Hall of Justice. hmmm... i guess they're thinking about the flow of traffic or something....

4. archon_manofsteel

archon_manofsteel DI Forum Adept Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Blood Type:
    B+
    flow of traffic? maybe.. i think its the budget. If only they could construct a permanent booth, they wouldn't mind spending a lot on their construction. Unlike the previous years, when the venue was still in Freedom park, they're still spending a lot which eventually will be destroyed after the Buglasan event. I dunno wats on these folks mind. hope it would come up better than the previous Buglasan festival... :D

5. OP
    OP
    RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    I have to agree that the complete stoppage of taffic at Freedom Park was a hassle, but the new site feeds off the north road and is looking like a bottle neck to me.
    The competition between munincipalities constructing their elaborate displays was the main ataction to Buglasan for many folks. So I hope my guess about that changing is wrong. Maybe someone here knows the facts.

There are some critics in local papers calling for transparency in where the money went for previous festivals, but that is one group hararssing another, typical politics here.

I have heard other rumors, but they are just that, and I won't feed that fire.

6. India-One

India-One DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    it would be very hard to be transparent in where the money went, unless if the politicians has a see-through pockets, :D Buglasan festival really generates lots lots of revenue or money, try to imagine the rental of all those beer-booths, restaurants and sponsors.

7. Mam A

Mam A DI Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    See through pockets--yes! I like that and wil add to my dictionary he he he. There's always something to learn. Oh yeah, the Buglasan. Good vs. so-so: the Good first--It seems that the structures at the new site will stay put to serve as a permanent as well as progressively developing tourist site. That's good because there's no frenzy of tearing down beautiful booths after their frenzied construction at the old site. I did hear a lot of tsikas about how those beautiful booths sold out to reuse buyers or something like that. So-so because the structures being built at the new site do not look like they will last long in order to be permanent. Hmmmm. How about the rentals and revenues? Back to see-through pockets, wanna see those.

8. wiNkz

wiNkz DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ive noticed that many dumagueteños are really disappointed with the transfer of buglasan from october to december.. In one of my posts in our blog (http://www.dumaguetelifestyle.com/2007/09/22/change-in-the-sked-of-buglas-fest/), people voiced out their opposition of the transfer. though some appreciate the transfer, still many questioned the re-scheduling of the festival..

for my opinion... it is really uncomfortable to have a festival celebrated on the date that it isn't usually being celebrated (being moved). for one i see disadvantage on the tourism aspect. people have known the festival to be on october so this might create confusion to non-residents.. :smile:

9. progmeister

progmeister DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Perhaps the reason they moved the date is so that the folks coming home for the holidays can enjoy it too. Just a thought. :smile:

10. OP
    OP
    RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    update: just heard the opening is Dec 24. Crazy or what. Drove by two days ago, no prgress in finishing the buildings. A joke it seems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.