Dumaguete Info Search

burritos & burgers

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by bapak, Jun 6, 2011.

1. bapak

bapak DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    exploratory- not an advertisement. i do a southern california menu. everything from steak burritos to fish tacos to sauteed onion-cheese-burgers to philly steaks. pool table, sat. tv, beer and malted shakes of course. this ain't no taco bell or mac donalds food! can i do well in duma with a place serving quality aformentioned? all feedback welcome. thanks bapak

2. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    A long time ago I was from San Diego, I just had a very good Mexican meal at Casa Blanca. I miss good Mexican food because I have been been away from it for soooo long.
    I will be one of your customers, not every day but once a week.
    Lot's of luck.
    Ron

3. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Babak, I am also from the San Diego area and would enjoy such a place IF you could use quality ingredients. IMHO the beef you get from the markets here would not be chewable or tasty. If you import from Manila, like a few of the real good restaurants here do, you would have to price accordingly to make your profit.
    Most eating establishments are located from the mall north, hardly any going south (except Basty's and then down to the Dauin Resorts like Mike's - both DI members). Finally, would the locals go for it? One of the more popular restaurants here have 70% local customers, not enough expats that go out often enough for a sustainable base. Good luck and I hope you give it a try.

4. Relayer

Relayer Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Holy Guacamolie! I am from San Diego as well!!! Whats going on here? San Diegans UNITE! The property issues in SoCal are the main reason I am here... and of course the fact I am poor!

San Diego, in German it means A Whale's Vagina.
    - Ron Burgundy

5. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    Confirmation of that please Rhoody?:D

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Ron Burgundy is a fictional "anchorman" in same named comedy.

That sentence has about the same portion of truth as there is nutrition value in a Jollibee-burger... :wink:

7. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Question number one, have you ever made a beef steak burrito in Dumaguete? A simple thing like beef can become problematic and/or costly. Many things that one takes for granted in SD are not available here, plan on importing masa, growing your own coriander, jalapenos, chilies, etc., Paying $10/pound for average cheese, dealing with small, green, sour tomatoes, and no stock of bell pepper, lettuce, etc., etc., etc...

Look well before you leap. I will support you and help any way I can.

Larry

Formerly Western Hemisphere Mexican and American food, Dumaguete.

8. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    Back in the 'bad old days' eh Larry?!!:D (I thought you did a pretty good job even with, all the no stock hassles....)

9. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    So when do the "bad old days" transform into the "good old days"? :wink:

One of the best days of my time here was the day we walked away. It didn't seem like it at the time, but it was a blessing in disguise.

To the OP, if you are considering this as a means of support, it may work in the right circumstances, but be sure to do your homework, and don't forget the math! How many burritos do I have to sell to pay P20,000/month rent? A WHOPPING SH**LOAD!

If you are doing it as a hobby, that's fine. You may wish to consider though, how long will your hobby remain fun after 14 hour days, 7 days a week? 360+ days per year. Let's not even address the employee issue.

Larry

10. SLK

SLK DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    PLEASE open a restaurant here! With a menu like that we'll be there everyday. But please don't go local in the flavors...you can get all the ingredients here, but after a while all restaurants taste the same. Stay true, even if you have to cook it yourself!